• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Czech Republic government caves in to eurosceptic president

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Views

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Oh that's all right then...
    Thats not what I said. You used it as an example of how UK fought against the USSR and I dont really see it that way.

So you label all Cossacks as allies or nazies, let's maybe kill them all to punish them? Nice views you have.
    What I think is irrelevant. The reason why they where massacred was because of where Stalin thought their sympathies lay. I was not making a moral case for or against them, just pointing out that Churchill et al throwing them to the wolves can hardly be classed as "fighting" with Stalin.

2nd front should have been opened earlier (1943) BEFORE Stalin crossed European borders, this would have made it much harder for him to occupy big part of Europe.

In any case the matter of fact is that whilst most of Western Europe gotten away from Stalin's clutches, the rest has fallen into his hands and it was not nice life for them. That's why accepting them into EU now and helping them out goes a long way towards making it up to them for the time under Soviet occupation - they "took one for the team" and did it for 50 years.
    Agreed, but both Churchill and Roosevelt knew the potential for massive casualties so IMHO, when DE invaded Russia I think they actually delayed opening a western front so the Russians could absorb most of the casualties. I think this was probably more Roosevelt than Churchill, as Roosevelt could already see the shape of the world after WWII but UK was weakened and a Western Front was not feasible without US involvement.

So yes they where occupied by the Soviets and life was cr@p but its hardly the fault of the present EU and certainly not a reason IMHO to admit a country to the EU. Next you are going to be saying that the whole of EE should get visas for the USA bacuase the Yanks didnt protect them in WW2? Why should the EU subsidise if the Americans dont?
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
      Thats not what I said. You used it as an example of how UK fought against the USSR and I dont really see it that way.
      Here is what you said:

"I would not say that was an example of "help", more like a concession to Stalin at Yalta. What the article declines to mention is that the Cossacks where to more or less of a degree allies of the Nazis."

just pointing out that Churchill et al throwing them to the wolves can hardly be classed as "fighting" with Stalin.
      Obviously it wasn't - this was example of the West appeasing Stalin just like it was appearing Hitler earlier.

So yes they where occupied by the Soviets and life was cr@p but its hardly the fault of the present EU and certainly not a reason IMHO to admit a country to the EU. Next you are going to be saying that the whole of EE should get visas for the USA bacuase the Yanks didnt protect them in WW2? Why should the EU subsidise if the Americans dont?
      USA is too far, Europe is here - it was not USA making deals with Stalin or Hitler anyway, if anything USA did far more to fight USSR than whole of Europe combined, next would be UK though.

Comment

Here is what you said:

"I would not say that was an example of "help", more like a concession to Stalin at Yalta. What the article declines to mention is that the Cossacks where to more or less of a degree allies of the Nazis."
        Some Cossacks fought for the Soviet Union, some fought on the side of Germany at the beginning of the war. They where a strong people and a threat to Stalins grand plan so he used this fact to massacre them all. He wanted them out of the way and this at best provided a good excuse. There is indisputable historical evidence that some of the Cossacks fought on the side of Germany. Not a sound moral reason to kill them and their families but this never did seem worry the likes of Stalin and Beria

Obviously it wasn't - this was example of the West appeasing Stalin just like it was appearing Hitler earlier.
        Which is exactly my point, your inital post seemed to use this as an example of how the UK was fighting the Soviets, when I said it not fighting, it was appeasement

USA is too far, Europe is here - it was not USA making deals with Stalin or Hitler anyway, if anything USA did far more to fight USSR than whole of Europe combined, next would be UK though.
        No? So Roosevelt was less influential than Churchill Teheran and Yalta? FDR never had any private chats with Stalin? Come on. As far as fighting USSR where did Roosevelt ever publicly dispute Stalins territorial claims in EE? If anything he was courting Russia for assistance in the pacific theatre of war.

The USA only started to "fight" or "contain" Communism after 1946, when the policy of containment became a pivotal feature of US foreign policy.
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Why?

Lisbon Treaty is good because it is designed to prevent a couple of non-team players who enjoy benefits of being in EU but do not want to be team players, also it is designed to prevent small countries holding hostage whole EU decision making process because of their own historical or current petty differences.
          you make the EU sound like working in McDonalds!

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
            Some Cossacks fought for the Soviet Union, some fought on the side of Germany at the beginning of the war.
            And? Some British people (including high profile ones) supported Nazies from start, should one generalise over all British people? Not even all Germans were supporting Nazies.

Cossacks were indeed pro-Tsar, but your statement that those of them who were deported to their deaths from this country on request of Stalin supported Nazies just because they were Cossacks is very wrong.

They where a strong people and a threat to Stalins grand plan so he used this fact to massacre them all.

Yeah right - after 1945, when WW2 was over a bunch of Cossacks claiming asylum in UK were a threat to Stalin?!?!?! Do you know who Cossacks were? Hint - they did not wield plasma rifles and orbital destroyers. They were sent to their deaths in order to appear Stalin.

Comment

Working...
            X