• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt firesale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Perfect time for the financial genius Gordon Brown to sell off our massive store of gold, seeing prices are at an all time high, and use the money wisely to boost the economy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1654931.ece

Oh I see.

Only £2Bn - isn't that a drop in the ocean of our national debt?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Only £2Bn - isn't that a drop in the ocean of our national debt?
      If he sold the gold now, it would be a lot more than £2bn.

Do you actually read anything?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        If he sold the gold now, it would be a lot more than £2bn.

Do you actually read anything?
        I read this bit;

They have revealed that Bank of England officials had serious misgivings over the chancellor’s determination to sell 400 tons of bullion in a series of auctions between 1999 and 2002, when the price was at a 20-year low. Since then the price has almost trebled, meaning the decision cost the taxpayer an estimated £2 billion
        I didn't see anything in there about that needing to be adjusted for inflation or today's gold prices.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I read this bit;

I didn't see anything in there about that needing to be adjusted for inflation or today's gold prices.
          Now you're assuming I read it.

You just don't get it do you?

Comment

Working...
          X