• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt firesale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's because these people travel too far to work and then drive long time back - home working is the answer.
    WHS
    Empolyers have no sensible reasons for objecting with all the technology available (and haven't had for years)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      That's because these people travel too far to work and then drive long time back - home working is the answer.
      In some cases yes, but in many it's people simply varying their working day. I live 16 miles from Leeds and 35 from Manchester city centres and there are plenty of people who do those distances. Leeds takes an hour plus between 7:00 and 9:30 simply because of weight of local traffic.
      Birmingham is at least as bad from every direction and London even worse.

I agree home working would help a hell of a lot, but as I pointed out earlier that would require convincing an awful lot of "bums on seats" managers which simply won't happen. I would work from home a lot on my current gig, but that's simply not possible due to security reasons so I stay near site and do a 580 mile round trip every week or two. Quite a bit of my work is done on a network that simply isn't accessible across the normal internet.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Meanwhile, in a secret boardroom somewhere in the City of London ....

“Right then guys how do we fund this through bonds that we can flog back to the government? We’ve already got HAB on board to launder the cash offshore.”

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for things being in the private sector. It's the evil snot goblin's way of doing it that puts me off. The BoE's QE programme is just going straight back to the Treasury in the purchase of newly issued Gilts. It's like al Adin's "New Gilts for old".
        Spot on. So not only will the government not get any money, the future will pay for it.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Here we have lot no 742, from HMR&C. One thousand coffee mugs with "I Love IR35" logos.

Any starting bids at £300 the lot?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Flying cars

Having seen the way some women drive, flying cars seem a REALLY bad idea!!

Unless they just coast along slowly like a cloud, so the chance of any damage being caused is low...
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Spot on. So not only will the government not get any money, the future will pay for it.
              It was ever thus. Thomas Jefferson argued strongly that the United States should not have a national bank, because its actions would bind future governments. Now that seems to be the point.
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                WHS
                Empolyers have no sensible reasons for objecting with all the technology available (and haven't had for years)
                Yes but the problem would be that if most people worked from home you would not need so many managers, and you won't get THOSE particular turkeys voting for Christmas...........sadly.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Perfect time for the financial genius Gordon Brown to sell off our massive store of gold, seeing prices are at an all time high, and use the money wisely to boost the economy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1654931.ece

Oh I see.

Comment

Why does Brown need to sell off this stuff if, as he says, the recession is nearly over?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Why does Brown need to sell off this stuff if, as he says, the recession is nearly over?
                      Mostly because he's borrowed a tulip-load of money over the last few months to try and re-inflate the bubble.

HTH
                      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                      X