• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector unions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary View Post
    At 21k?
    I've gone from £30 to £12.50ph with none of the benefits of perm employment let alone the gold plated nonsense the public sector gets.

In answer to your question yes, tell me why you think a non productive public sector employee should get a rise when the productive private sector is taking massive and painful cuts?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
      I wouldn't stand in a classroom in front of 35 screaming little tulips for 7 hours a day, 9 months a year (plus all the prep and marking and other paperwork) for 21k.
      WHS

A friend of mine, retired from an investment bank, has just completed his teacher training and has had to work as a supply teacher to get up his teaching hours.

He told me that nothing could prepare him for the utter awfulness, and sheer bloody-mindedness of the kids (he teaches in Bristol - not that it makes any difference I suppose).

Teaching is hard work. You need to prepare 'Lesson Plans' for each and every teaching session. You need to control and manage the class. You need to prove that you have actually inculcated the bloody little sods with the information.

Teaching is not an easy option.

I think I'd rather sweep the streets than stand up in a classroom.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        I think I'd rather sweep the streets than stand up in a classroom.
        What is NMW as a salary?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I've gone from £30 to £12.50ph with none of the benefits of perm employment let alone the gold plated nonsense the public sector gets.

In answer to your question yes, tell me why you think a non productive public sector employee should get a rise when the productive private sector is taking massive and painful cuts?
          Don't extrapolate the vagaries of contracting to permanent employment. It doesn't work.

And are you seriously suggesting that every teacher in the land is non-productive? Could you imagine the feral wasteland we'd live in if they didn't exist?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Don't extrapolate the vagaries of contracting to permanent employment. It doesn't work.

And are you seriously suggesting that every teacher in the land is non-productive? Could you imagine the feral wasteland we'd live in if they didn't exist?
            I don't think you have to imagine it in some parts of the country.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              I don't think you have to imagine it in some parts of the country.
              I don't know why, but Croydon springs to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Could you imagine the feral wasteland we'd live in if they didn't exist?
                Well, I left for Holland 15 years ago and I was forgetting it until I went to Liverpool last year.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Well, I left for Holland 15 years ago and I was forgetting it until I went to Liverpool last year.
                  Indeed.

The UK is a complete social disaster, and it's just getting worse.

Comment

Listen people, this was never a rant against teachers per se, I appreciate that it's often a lowly paid, stressful job. It was more about the union rep who wanted to absolve all her members from shouldering any of the pain of this recession for the reasons I mentioned in the op. Don't see why they should be immune, that's all.

Comment

My mum was a teacher, then became a university lecturer and then retired, still on the old 80% final salary scheme, while on the salary of a university dean. She also has a state pension and her own private pension. She now spends her mornings gardening and her afternoons drinking chardonnay and earns nearly twice as much as she did when she was working. Can't be bad.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X