• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to heat a single room?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tramps

You should learn from them mate.

Newspapers down your shirt, scruffy mongrel & a bottle of meths will keep you warm.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Do new houses these days not have a fireplace then?
      I actually don't recall seeing an open fireplace in any new-build house I've ever looked at. We looked at a few quite nice ones, where the rooms were not cupboards with windows and the staircase only wide enough for thin people, and it seems they are just not added. I suppose it lowers the heating efficiency having that big hole

Shame, real fires are great, though you have to get a pretty old house to find fireplaces in every room...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I actually don't recall seeing an open fireplace in any new-build house I've ever looked at. We looked at a few quite nice ones, where the rooms were not cupboards with windows and the staircase only wide enough for thin people, and it seems they are just not added. I suppose it lowers the heating efficiency having that big hole

Shame, real fires are great, though you have to get a pretty old house to find fireplaces in every room...
        Loads of people will be feeling run down and suffering mysterious ailments living in those hermetically sealed new-build shoe boxes, with all the damp encouraging mould, and nasty chemicals used in their construction and the carpets and furniture constantly leaking into the air.

You need a few decent fire places to get a proper flow of fresh air, even if they are a bit less efficient. You'd be amazed at the number of crazy people who never open any windows in their house.
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 9 October 2009, 21:37.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Do new houses these days not have a fireplace then?
          No! Just looking at a few new houses and none of them have a proper fire place! Just a big gap where you can place a huge 48-inch plasma TV.

Sad.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            No! Just looking at a few new houses and none of them have a proper fire place! Just a big gap where you can place a huge 48-inch plasma TV.

Sad.
            Agreed. I think its nicer to have the sofas arranged around the fireplace as the centre of the room, rather than the TV which I find a bit soulless. My house has one of those gas fires that imitates a coal one. And fireplaces in nearly every room. Built 1907.

I like the stove idea. A good way to eliminate all the discarded, broken furniture the local proles leave in the street too.

Comment

What is prole?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                What is prole?
                Linky.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

Sad.
                  That is truly sad. Imagine having a TV that small.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    That is truly sad. Imagine having a TV that small.
                    What is this obsession with huge, booming televisions?

I know the lower classes seem to set great store by them - but they just give me a headache.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Have you tried bleeding the radiator?
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X