• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I think I will have to bite the bullet, drained a system before and it's not worth the hassle.
    I think you've made the right choice - ask yourself, How much is your time worth to you?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Anyone ever flushed out their radiators?

Got a couple of cold spots, so was wondering if it's realtively simple process to DIY.

Or do I have to grit my teeth and get some numpty in who's going to charge me the best part of my daily rate to do it.
      Flushing is only really needed if you suspect there is a blockage somewhere in the system. Usually signalled by one or more radiators failing to heat up when the others do. The block will be between the last hot one and the first cold one in the circuit ( assuming you know how your central heating is laid out ).

More likely is that there is some air in the system, the clue here is that the tops of the radiators are cold and the bottom hot. If this is the case you need to realease the air from each affected radiator, known as bleeding the raditor. This is a very simple DIY job. You just need a radiator key ( 50p from any DIY store ) 10 minutes and a cloth .

At the top of each radiator at one end there will be a small square bolt set into the radiator. Simply use the key to undo this slowly until you hear air hissing out. Do NOT undo it all the way. Leave it losened until water starts to escape and tighten it back up again, cleaning up any excess water afterwards.

Repeat on all the affected radiators, then run the heating and double check all the cold spots have gone. If the problem was bad you may need to bleed the radiators again after the syetm has run for 10 or 15 minutes.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If you've got the time...do it yourself (assuming you've bled them?)

To do the radiator, I've just shut the valves off, took it off, and stuck a hosepipe in one end to flush all the gunk out.

If the circulation isn't good, you may have to do whole system, and there may be gunk in the pipes as well as the radiators - so flushing one, it may soon gunk up again.

I think there's also some stuff you can get to put in them to ease the situation...can't remember name though.

Basically, if you've got the time, it's fairly easy, if you haven't it's a pain and waste of a day. If I was on the bench I'd do it basically, if not...wouldn't waste my weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I think you've made the right choice - ask yourself, How much is your time worth to you?
          hence the reason I normally get someone else to the do DIY these days.

last property was a building site for 3 years, couldn't relax as there was always summat to do.

current property got it completely redecorated, new carpets, refitted bathrooms etc... etc.. and then moved in.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

yep, wouldn't have asked if I hadn't already checked.

bl**dy flushing isn't covered by the homecare 400
            Did you check the header tank before you started bleeding?

Otherwise you could be introducing more air to the system.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

hence the reason I normally get someone else to the do DIY these days.

last property was a building site for 3 years, couldn't relax as there was always summat to do.

current property got it completely redecorated, new carpets, refitted bathrooms etc... etc.. and then moved in.
              Just finished doing my whole place up took 3.5 years as well never again felt the same as you could never relax always something to do, just had all the flooring laid on Tuesday wooooohooo so finished now. Only thing now is the house looks to good for me I'm scruffy house is immaculate.

Anyway you can either drain the system and put some inhibitor in it when you fill it up or have a 'power flush', but power fllushes can cause problems and leaks if you pipes etc are old and flakey. On my system I flushed it out once and put inhibitor in left it for a month then flushed system again and its alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Did you check the header tank before you started bleeding?

Otherwise you could be introducing more air to the system.
                Hm, nope. Though I haven't bled them this year yet and they have just been through their annual check from BG
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Just another thought.

Have you worked out the order in which the radiators warm up? If it is only the last radiators in the circuit that are slow to warm up then it is most likely it is a question of balancing. It may be that the radiators at the start of the circuit are allowing too much hot water through and hence back to the boiler and therefore little hot water makes it to the last radiators in the circuit.
                  Last edited by OrangeHopper; 9 October 2009, 10:44.

Comment

Have you tried bleeding them?
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yes, he has!

Comment

Working...
                      X