• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    If you are in the right hand lane and I undertake you, you are in the wrong lane, simples!

THERE IS NO FAST LANE FFS! the speed limit is the same for all 3 lanes!
    So you are going faster than 70 mph or not when you overtake on the inside?

If so, I thought you said the speed limit was the same, or does that just apply to everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070314

only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
      This could do with being made a bit more forceful and compulsory IMHO, like...

You MUST overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
      I say that, because I used to routinely get overtaken ON THE RIGHT when I was signalling to turn right.

On my bicycle.

Oh wait, that doesn't count as a vehicle does it. More of an irritant than a vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Sooo,

"I'd finished overtaking and moved back to the middle lane, which I found to be moving faster than the outside lane, so I kept up with the traffic. Officer"
        .. or you can always move to the inside lane and say you were preparing to take an exit ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          .. or you can always move to the inside lane and say you were preparing to take an exit ...
          That actually worked on the Paris Périphérique. It could be faster to take an exit and immediately join again when it was really snarled (most days). I picked that tip up by observing what the airport bus did.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            That actually worked on the Paris Périphérique.
            That works very well on M4 London bound, I've managed to overtake a Ferrari once ..

Comment

Too many slow lorries on the inside lane, that's the problem, and we are all too lazy to move back so we just stay in the middle.

Comment

Only those who have failed in life use the left or middle lane.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Only those who have failed in life use the left or middle lane.
                  Exactly. As a BMW driver I only ever use the other lanes to join and leave the motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Exactly. As a BMW driver I only ever cut people up and fail to indicate.
                    FTFY
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

One that really annoys me is when I'm in the outside lane overtaking slower-moving traffic and some twonk (almost always in a BMW or an Audi) sits right on my tail... and then, when we reach a point where I can pull in to let them pass, they instead shoot into the inwards lane one inch in front of the lead vehicle there and undertake me just as I start to pull over

I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly sideswiped one of these imbeciles. Of course, if they weren't sat right on my tail, they would have been able to see the indicator and would have known that I was pulling over to let them through. Morons

Comment

Working...
                      X