• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID Cards, why can't we be like the Belgians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zathras expressed the right concern - the ID card by itself is not necessarily a big problem, it is the fact that it can (and therefore will) be linked to many other agencies and effectively make all our movements (physical, financial, social etc) be traceable.

An ID card like they have in France for example, is fine, as it is not linked to anything - it just has your name, photo and signature on it, so it is purely used as a proof of identity. Which is what it should be, nothing less, nothing more.

But link it to your NI number, your address, and everything else and it becomes possible for HMRC, the Immigration service, the DVLA, the NHS, insurance companies, banks, your employer etc to access a database where your whole life is stored.

The government said that we would have to notify every change, like change of addresses, if we don't, then it's a fine!

This would eliminate almost all opportunities for fraud, bar serious fraud like ID theft (that would increase of course), and people like yours truly would not be able to implement her little schemes to avoid motoring fines, cheaper insurance, council tax avoidance and the like. Outrageous! I believe the creative potential of millions of people would be at risk and there would be a serious brain drain from the UK if that was implemented. Can't let that happen
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
      An ID card like they have in France for example, is fine, as it is not linked to anything - it just has your name, photo and signature on it, so it is purely used as a proof of identity. Which is what it should be, nothing less, nothing more.
      I would be surprised if that was the case. Do you have something to back that up?

I would imagine that France is like Belgium where everything links up one way or another to the national register. Hence the reason early this year I found various envelopes from the local, regional and federal tax services dropping on my doormat even though the only thing I'd done until then was register at the town hall...

And, yes I was sort of hoping that they'd sort of forget about little ol' me...

Comment

ID cards 'will save firms millions'

ID cards could save businesses hundreds of millions of pounds, Home Secretary Charles Clarke has insisted.

Mr Clarke said even on conservative estimates, the private sector could benefit by up to £425 million.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1616193.html

Heh, how is that supposed to work? I can only see these ID cards costing the private sector a small fortune. For starters the government will increase the number of occupations one must have a check for and increase the price of those checks, so as to offset the cost of the cards.

After reading the article I got the distinct impression that someone in the civil service is 'aving a right laugh in a "I wonder how much crap I can write and get the minister to spout" kinda way.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
          I would be surprised if that was the case. Do you have something to back that up?

I would imagine that France is like Belgium where everything links up one way or another to the national register. Hence the reason early this year I found various envelopes from the local, regional and federal tax services dropping on my doormat even though the only thing I'd done until then was register at the town hall...

And, yes I was sort of hoping that they'd sort of forget about little ol' me...
          Tsk Tsk Jo why on earth did you register at the Town Hall ?

Comment

Sometimes wish I hadn't, but since I've sort of upped sticks and based myself here it seemed to have it's advantages...

Edit: sorry but the dog ate the rest of my post.
            Last edited by Joe Black; 18 November 2005, 21:45.

Comment

Working...
            X