• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID Cards, why can't we be like the Belgians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you attempt to get 2 ID cards

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Because the stored patterns for finger prints, DNA and retina scans should be unique. If you get a duplicate in the database then there is something wrong.
    Frankly I doubt that the people running the system would be unbribable, assuming that it even works, and in any case, how many IDs do you need to blow up innocents?
    Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
      Frankly I doubt that the people running the system would be unbribable, assuming that it even works, and in any case, how many IDs do you need to blow up innocents?
      You are drifting my point there. I said the ONLY upside was to stop people with dual IDs, I did not mention terrorism.

FWIW. I am against these ID card proposals. As you point out, you only need 1 ID and most of the bombers have never appeared on any official radar before. ID cards would not have stopped any of them.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

You are drifting my point there. I said the ONLY upside was to stop people with dual IDs, I did not mention terrorism.

FWIW. I am against these ID card proposals. As you point out, you only need 1 ID and most of the bombers have never appeared on any official radar before. ID cards would not have stopped any of them.
        Very true, but it gives namby pamby, cry baby scaredy cats like Chico a false feeling of security from the big bad boogeymen terrorists hiding behind every lampost.
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

... imagine your medical records are accessed via this card. Do you think insurance companies would miss the opportunity to request a card check to find out if you are a good risk for them?
          Which would mean that premiums would go down for those who are a good risk and up for those who are high risks - sounds fair to me.

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit
            Which would mean that premiums would go down for those who are a good risk and up for those who are high risks - sounds fair to me.
            Would you think it fair if it's you who cannot get insurance at any price? For that is what would happen - premiums wouldn't rise for high risks, cover would just be declined.
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Then I hope you stay healthy for the rest of your life and that the NHS never goes away.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

ID Cards

Originally posted by Francko
                I still don't understand what's this big fuss over ID cards in UK. They have them everywhere and they have proven to be of some utility (although, of course they will not eliminate crime and fraud). Think about theft identity. It's ridicolous how easy that is in UK. Such frauds are way more difficult in other countries for the existance of ID cards. What saved England so far was a deeper respect of the institutions which lacked in other countries. With the current times, however, I would say that this respect for the institutions in UK has gone way down the sink. Or do we have to use the same slogan "our system is better because that's how we did it"?
                The problem with the ID Cards is not the cards themselves, although it is likely that the codes proposed will be a technical nightmare. It is the database that is going to be behind the cards that is the real problem.

Comment

Isn't that unfair descrimination? You cannot help what DNA you inherit, any more than your colour or sex.

Anyway, as a pure Aryan I'm on the right side of the fence, so I'm all for it.

Comment

Sex?
                    All for it?
                    Hairy'un?

Comment

I think theres a few more upsides than just the issue of dual IDs, hence the reason I started the thread pointing out what the Belgians are doing, e.g. online tax forms, social security, payment, signing a contract etc...and doing it in a way which isn't going to cost loads of money ala EDS, while encouraging other businesses to take it up as well.

The terrorist thing as you point out is a bit overblown and seems more something like the WMD issue where NL is trying to bash everyone into submission...

Comment

Working...
                      X