• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland over sex with underage girl

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    At what point did I say that she forgave him... because I don't think she has said that at all.
    Fair enough, you did not say it, sorry.

My point still stands however - he is very public figure and Justice can't have such situations when person manages to escape it, the damage from not making an example of that person is very high, that's what should happen. He does not seem to deny the crime - I am suprised that he want not extradited much sooner from France, very odd situation indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Fair enough, you did not say it, sorry.

My point still stands however - he is very public figure and Justice can't have such situations when person manages to escape it
      You mean like the IRA members that escaped the Maze prison which the US still refuses to extradict.

I agree with your sentiment though. A "normal" person without the resources and houses in many counties would have been banged up for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        You mean like the IRA members that escaped the Maze prison which the US still refuses to extradict.
        I don't know the details, but I know that USA asked for Enron related NatWest bankers to be extradited and they were, after which they went to jail there - in this country nobody gave a tulip about them committing crimes. The matter of fact is that UK does not seem to give a tulip about getting those criminals locked up - at least USA does which is a good thing, even though extradiction treaty is a bit one sided, but hey, if UK is not trying to get criminals from there, then whose fault is it?

Comment

Have you seen the coverage on the beeb about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8277886.stm

"And British novelist Robert Harris described the arrest as "disgusting treatment". "

Oh nearly as disgusting an knobbing a 13 year old kid eh Robert. How can all these luvvies jump to defend what is essentially some perv who admitted doing a 13 year old girl. Where were they when Gary Glitter was facing the judge?
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Even though extradiction treaty is a bit one sided, but hey, if UK is not trying to get criminals from there, then whose fault is it?
            The UK tried for years to get these people extradicted. There was nothing wrong with the treaty as parity existed at the time - the yanks simply ignored it, although they did eventually get one of them.

And remember, these people weren't just suspected of a crime. They were tried, convicted and sentanced in a court of law.

Comment

Interesting that when it was a 7/10 schoolteacher involved in a lesbian affair with a 15 year old schoolgirl that was seen in a far more favourable light.

Polanski is a kiddy fiddler (and had admitted it) so he should be sent down. 13 years old is just sick.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                Interesting that when it was a 7/10 schoolteacher involved in a lesbian affair with a 15 year old schoolgirl that was seen in a far more favourable light.

Polanski is a kiddy fiddler (and had admitted it) so he should be sent down. 13 years old is just sick.
                Not only that but didn't he give her some date rape drug or ply her with booze then take advantage of her?
                Some people are saying that it happened over 30 years ago that it should be forgotten, but hang on yes is was 30 years ago but he was tried, convicted and admitted to it back then and skipped out the country while waiting to be sentenced. The guy was a wanted fugitive and it was just unlucky for him that he publicised his travel plans to attend some award so that the police were waiting for him when he arrived.

I know in other Asian and Arab cultures that they quite happily marry girls of at this age to men who are older but we in the West have stated that this is an offence of which he was found guilty off.

If they send him back to the US and him being 76 he could end up dying in prison unless all his money and the best lawyers and being famous he somehow wriggles out of it. He's really no different than Gary Glitter although it 'looks like' it was a one off offence?

Comment

I understand there is some doubt as to the circumstances of his confession.
                  I believe he was offered a deal if he confessed. When he had made his confession the judge renaged on the deal. His confession may not be sound evidence.
                  If he is guilty then all the years on the run should add to the severity of his punishment. He skipped. He has enjoyed 30 years of the high life, 30 years he should not have had.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

He entered his confession as part of a plea bargain. To me it is still an admission of guilt. If he hadn't been caught up to his nuts in a child then there is no way he would have put his hands up for this. What I find sick is that because he is some luvie movie type that he should be in some way excused. The fact that it was a long while ago should make this in some way ok. He abused a child, admitted it and did a runner when he saw what he was facing and as stated before, didn't live the life of a fugative, lived the high life. So top tip to all you fiddie fiddlers - when it's looking bleak, head over to France but remember to take your camcorder!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                      Have you seen the coverage on the beeb about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8277886.stm

"And British novelist Robert Harris described the arrest as "disgusting treatment". "

Oh nearly as disgusting an knobbing a 13 year old kid eh Robert. How can all these luvvies jump to defend what is essentially some perv who admitted doing a 13 year old girl. Where were they when Gary Glitter was facing the judge?
                      Isn't a Robert Harris novel currently being turned into a movie by Polanski... might explain his outrage, new swimming pools don't pay for themselves after all!
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X