• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer Missuse Act

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    This might stop you being sued, but won't have any effect on your criminal liability.

If you can't be prosecuted for a direct criminal act for writing the software, I think you could be prosecuted for "aiding and abetting" the person who uses it to perform a criminal act.
    Yes indeed. An early NuLabour criminal justice bill swept away all the assorted "assisting, aiding or abetting" crimes that had built up over time and replaced it with the principle that helping someone commit a crime carries the same charges and penalties as doing the crime yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
      Yes indeed. An early NuLabour criminal justice bill swept away all the assorted "assisting, aiding or abetting" crimes that had built up over time and replaced it with the principle that helping someone commit a crime carries the same charges and penalties as doing the crime yourself.
      Hmmm, I wonder if "ignorance is no defence" applies if you unknowingly assist someone in committing a crime? I guess not. It would be hard to prove and would otherwise be very scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes
        Hmmm, I wonder if "ignorance is no defence" applies if you unknowingly assist someone in committing a crime? I guess not. It would be hard to prove and would otherwise be very scary.
        I guess so, otherwise (for example) a retailer could be held liable for selling you the analgesics you killed your partner with by slipping them into their morning tea. But wait, I've said too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
          Sony's latest one is definatly damageing, not only does it create many security holes but if you try to remove it, it can damage hardwear to the point that it might be simpler to just replace the whole machine.
          It doesnt damage the hardware, what it does is disable the native Windows CD software driver if the rootkit is removed incorectly. No new hardware needed but you may endup reformatting and reinstalling if you cant fix the bodged driver. You can see the whole thing in detail here

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

This is the original research that uncoverd the rootkit, explains what it does, how it does it and how to get rid of it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
          X