• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon Brown to announce a cut to the UK nuclear fleet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I'm not convinced it's worth the money to maintain a nuclear deterrent in Trident form. Everybody assumes it's Trident or nothing, but we can maintain nuclear without Trident. From an operational standpoint, we can **** a country with nuclear cruise, equally as well as we can **** it with ICBMs.

However, I think nuclear cruise missiles are banned at the moment (not sure though) so there would be some politicking to get around that hurdle.
    We don't have those anymore as we scrapped them in our agreement to have Trident.

As for Trident, we can't launch any of them without prior US approval. Our nuclear independence has been a myth for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
      I can hardly believe what I am hearing.

Trident fleet to be cut Gordon Brown to announce.

Linky (the Telegraph)

I am not saying that it is a bad thing. It is just that the reason for the cuts is much more likely to be because the country can't afford to run them any more.

I can see that. You can see that. The rest of the whole frickin world can see that and is unlikely to give us much credit for it.

What's that sound? Is that the sound of the rest of the world laughing at us? What has this country come to?
      About time too. This country cant keep spending beyond its means.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Roughly since about 1958 or so. With the demise of Yellow Sun Mk I.
        You could get a nuclear version of Tomahawk.

Whether we had any of those or not is a national secret
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It's basically a contest between propping up house prices forever or protecting the realm. No contest really. Boomed.

Comment

Working...
          X