• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is the Quality of PMs so low?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    4b (and this is the worst offence) Estimating on behalf of the developers, then getting pissed off when deadlines are not met.
    That is a real common issue. I have found that once you go back to higher management and get it in the neck for your timelines they end up pushing you to tighten the deadlines so much it is impossible to deliver. You know deep down that the timelines they want are unachievable but you can only fight it to a certain extent.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Be a diplomat, coordinate stakeholders, know something about the technology within the project they are managing (contrary to popular belief this is ESSENTIAL). Shut up and listen. Understand. Focus on the essentials.

And most of all stop bull-tulipting.
      OMG - I agree with SAD Grunt, I am off to shoot myself
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
        That is a real common issue. I have found that once you go back to higher management and get it in the neck for your timelines they end up pushing you to tighten the deadlines so much it is impossible to deliver. You know deep down that the timelines they want are unachievable but you can only fight it to a certain extent.
        Yep - I know. Always fighting ...
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

So it seems a good Pm

1) Keeps the team together and working towards the goal.

2) Have a basic understanding of the technology involved in the project (assuming it is a technology based project)

3) Listens to the project team and creates plans and timeline estimates, budgets etc etc based on their information.

4) Supplies this information to senior management/stakeholders and gets them to agree to the timelines/budgets etc. Also pushes back when Senior management try to squeeze timescales and/or budget to try and make themselves look important and in control.

All well and good

a) Whats missing?
          b) What is the best course of action of the PM should the workstreams start to over run?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            All well and good

a) Whats missing?
            b) What is the best course of action of the PM should the workstreams start to over run?
            Find out why
            Find out how much it is overrunning by
            Communicate it up the food chain ASAP
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

So it seems a good Pm

2) Have a basic understanding of the technology involved in the project (assuming it is a technology based project)

3) Listens to the project team and creates plans and timeline estimates, budgets etc etc based on their information.

4) Supplies this information to senior management/stakeholders and gets them to agree to the timelines/budgets etc. Also pushes back when Senior management try to squeeze timescales and/or budget to try and make themselves look important and in control.

All well and good

a) Whats missing?
              Buy donuts.

Comment

So it seems a good Pm

All well and good

a) Whats missing?
                Bloody hell do we have here a PM who wants to learn?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                  OMG - I agree with SAD Grunt, I am off to shoot myself
                  Everyone ends up agreeing with me. Its because I'm usually right.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    Find out why
                    Find out how much it is overrunning by
                    Communicate it up the food chain ASAP
                    Interesting - as a PM you are expected to manage that so it does not overrun.

You can comms up the food chain make sure you have the documentation to cover the azz but the question still remains.

"The team have given you their deadlines which they have committed to achieving - they are not delivering what do you do to get things back on track?"

apparently Donuts appears to be one answer not sure how much effect that will have but will file it away under possibles!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Bloody hell do we have here a PM who wants to learn?
                      always!

Comment

Working...
                      X