• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WWYD - Racial Incident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moonstar View Post
    Am I worrying unncessarily ? What would you do - make the statement or let it go

Anway thanks for 'listening' - advice / comments etc would be most welcome
    More importantly

WWGHD?

What would Gene Hunt do?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

This probably isn't much consolation but this kind of twunt would have had a go at me for being 'a fckin stoopid bird' i.e they'll use whatever their microscopic brains can come up with at the time.
      I don't mean to trivialise this but bearing in mind what others have said about lack of police protection (the arse isn't going to get locked up) and the concern for your family, I'd let it go.

These kinds of amoebic lifeforms are dying out by natural selection, and the sooner the better.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive but good luck - whatever you decide to do.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        These kinds of amoebic lifeforms are dying out by natural selection, and the sooner the better...
        Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they are being bred quicker than you can say Jack Rabbit.

This system of chav breeding is known as the welfare state!
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they are being bred quicker than you can say Jack Rabbit.

This system of chav breeding is known as the welfare state!
          I think you are wrong. We have become less racist (and sexist) over time (think what it was like in the seventies/eighties). Just because the parents are morons it doesn't mean their children will be.

Time will tell I suppose, but I have a more optimistic outlook.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            I think you are wrong. We have become less racist (and sexist) over time (think what it was like in the seventies/eighties). Just because the parents are morons it doesn't mean their children will be.

Time will tell I suppose, but I have a more optimistic outlook.
            We have not become less racist.
            Racists are racists and will always be racists.
            The only thing that has happened is we have made it illegal to express ones opinion on the subject.
            What we have done is educated people. People who used racist terms even though they were not actualy racist themselves now realise that many of those terms are offensive and no longer use them.

To the OP: What was the cause of your dispute? What exactly happened?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

However and this is the dilema, I want to progress with the statement and know I should but my main fear is that of reprisal - I have a young family and don't know what this chap is like and could do, for example he is already due in a court for another unrelated incident. Because of my limited company / linked in etc I am probably quite traceable and if it goes through court I would have to give my name.
              i hope you have the courage to stand up to them. don't let them get away with it - next time they could really harm someone. the police are probably well aware of his and her activities and need your input to land the pair in the trouble that they deserve.

Comment

As someone else said above, this kind of idiot would have said something nasty whoever you were, if you were a woman, man, white, black, asian, tall, skinny,fat, ginger, blonde, smart, scruffy....whatever nasty vile crap he wanted to come out with he would have tailored accordingly

the bottom line is he is obviously an aggressive, rude and below average intelligence moron who would probably have a go at anyone who happened to cross his path,
                its certainly becoming more common up norf where I live but these people are often just chav bullies who will crumble when challenged by someone "bigger" if you want to make a legal stand you have a right to do so but in reality you will have little or no support from the local rozzers, you will also have the problem of proving your accusation unless you have witnesses or proof you risk sticking your neck out (however frustrating it may be)

Comment

Not defending racial abuse, sure it must be very upsetting, but the penalties are quite disproportionate.

For common assault, say breaking someone's jaw, you can get six months. For racially aggravated common assault, say calling somebody a coon and then breaking their jaw you can get two years. Their race does not have to be the reason for the assault, just the name calling is enough.

People are also not normally ashamed of their race while somebody could be very sensitive about personal defects. Yet if you called an overweight person an ugly fat so and so before breaking their jaw the maximum sentence stays the same.

Good intentions behind them maybe, but I think stupid disproportionate laws like this simply create resentment.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Words have the power you give to them. Just because someone uses what is deemed to be a naughty word doesn't mean you have to be offended by it.

You can't change how people act, but you can change how you react.

Comment

However and this is the dilema, I want to progress with the statement and know I should but my main fear is that of reprisal - I have a young family and don't know what this chap is like and could do, for example he is already due in a court for another unrelated incident. Because of my limited company / linked in etc I am probably quite traceable and if it goes through court I would have to give my name.

Anway thanks for 'listening' - advice / comments etc would be most welcome
                      Sorry to hear of what happened and your dilema. Probably best to let it go if you have concerns about any follow up and risk to your family.

They will be caught sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                      X