• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates of contracts with different agents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Finally, an admission that many agencies are corrupt.
    That is not corruption, that is standard business practice mcquid. Corruption is bribing managers and is defined as doing anything that is illegal.

Before your peity gets ahead of you, you righteous *****, may I suggest that when you go to work for your next "client", that maybe you would like to take a close look at their sales and marketing tactics; whether they be a bank, Insurance company, retailer or whatever.

I think you will find that the behaviour of agents is crude unsophisticated, clumsy, and even honest when compared to your client.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

An interesting article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...9&in_page_id=2
      Last edited by Joe Black; 14 November 2005, 19:11.

Comment

I think you will find that the behaviour of agents is crude unsophisticated, clumsy, and even honest when compared to your client.

AS the old Spannish proverb has it

Honour and Money do not belong in the same purse.

Corruption is bribing managers and is defined as doing anything that is illegal.

Yes, however it is all relative , DA Old Bean.

Bribing managers to secure contracts is a tax deductible business expense in Germany (for overseas contracts only) in France it is common for a manager to recieve a commision from any dealings with Agents, cash in hand.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 14 November 2005, 13:58.

Comment

Bribing managers to secure contracts is a tax deductible business expense in Germany (for overseas contracts only)
          I think they ceased to be deductible in 1999.

Comment

why do some contractors find it a problem that agents will try and get the highest margin?

After all, we're the same - we are trying to get the highest rate. Everybody's trying to get the highest amount of money for themselves. It's our role to call the agents bluff and negociate the highest rate for ourselves.

On top of that, the rates offered to contractors by different agencies for the same contract may differ because agencies services to contractor differ too, e.g. some agencies will pay weekly some won't, some agencies will be good payers some won't etc etc.

Yes agents are scum and must be exterminated but let's not slag them off when they're nothing to slag off - let's find real reasons not made up by bitter contractors who didn't get the gig.
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I've just had my client telling me my agents margin is too high (15%). Apparently, their other suppliers only charge 4-5%. I have, for the first time, found myself defending my agents margin!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

real reasons: hair gel.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

that's more like it!
                  Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    I've just had my client telling me my agents margin is too high (15%). Apparently, their other suppliers only charge 4-5%. I have, for the first time, found myself defending my agents margin!!!

Offer to undercut the agent by 10%, and take the 5% increase

Comment

theres an easy solution to all of this, just get the agency to e-mail you the rate that they're offering you and their daily margin on that rate charged to the client.

If they refuse and it really bothers you don't use the agency, its that simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X