• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How good are your first aid skills?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I discovered an old lady flat on her back outside her flat in our block of flats. She was conscious but couldn't get up. She insisted on help standing up, which I provided but this in hindsight was probably a wrong move, though luckily nothing was busted. She was bleeding from the head though, which I did insist needed looking at, though she was adamant that is was okay. Turned out she was on blood thinners and it might never have stopped bleeding.

Comment

You're not supposed to do the Heimlich manoeuvre anymore - the risk of getting it wrong and doing more damage is too high.

I've given first aid to a motor cyclist who come off outside a pub I was drinking in. Didn't actually have to do much other than keep him still as he wasn't bleeding and wasn't in too much pain.

Need to re-do my course as I think it's lapsed now.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Tourniquet's are frowned on now too - pressure is recommended instead.

Can you be sued for providing bad first aid?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Tourniquet's are frowned on now too - pressure is recommended instead.

There's a concept of "good samaritan" used in the US and most other western countries that states you cannot be sued if you apply first aid, if you have consent (or implied consent) and as long as you are qualified to provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Depends how bad it was...

But, no, I don't think you can
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

In theroy yes you can be sued, St Johns (who do the training) offer all 1st aiders insurance agaist such an event
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                In theroy yes you can be sued, St Johns (who do the training) offer all 1st aiders insurance agaist such an event
                Consent aside, surely there would only ever be grounds if the aid-giver's actions left the injured person in a worse state than if they had done nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X