• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with the help....I need your help PLEASE READ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    As was said before - you don't want your key back. He could have copies made. Change your locks and do it now. Keep the texts from him and sue him via the small claims courts for the cost of the lock replacement
    Indeed, I was talking about prior to the aggrevation.

We were thinking of withholding his monies to pay for the replacement of the locks, is this legal????
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
      We were thinking of withholding his monies to pay for the replacement of the locks, is this legal????
      You'll only find out if he takes you to small claims...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Indeed, I was talking about prior to the aggrevation.

IANAL but if you can reasonably prove he is in Breach of Contract, then yes it is legal. In fact, it's not illegal to withhold payment, whatever the case. It's up to him to sue you for it.

Sounds like he is in breach of contract given the time he quoted and the time it took to do the job.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          IANAL but if you can reasonably prove he is in Breach of Contract, then yes it is legal. In fact, it's not illegal to withhold payment, whatever the case. It's up to him to sue you for it.

Sounds like he is in breach of contract given the time he quoted and the time it took to do the job.
          Indeed, well we are going to see a legal buddie tonight so we will find out from them.

Also I think this document gets it all down in B&W

FYI
          http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/c_services.pdf

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Probably not.

What do you owe him?
            Was his original quote an actual quote or an estimate?
            If it was a quote then you are entitled to hold him to it.
            If it was an estimate then you are liable to pay actual costs though I believe you can refuse if the difference is excessive (9 weeks as opposed to 2.5 is excessive).
            You must pay him for the agreed materials.

Obviously, you may feel that his bill is fair in which case you should pay it.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Just found out that the company that the cowboy is trading under is dissolved..

Now what is the number for benefit fraud and HMRC.
              Let's go back to your first post:

So we paid the outstanding monies for the labour into his account that day (we are honourable like that). However, we informed him that we were withholding the receipts monies until our key was posted to us recorded delivery. We also stated that if the key was not in our possession by Friday we would have the lock changed with the money.

Last night we received a very rude text from him saying that we owed him £550 extra, that we had lied and threatened him and that he would gain entry to our house to remove the bathroom!!
              Do you have a date for when the company was dissolved and how does it relate to the work done and monies paid?

My guess is that he didn't get his hands on the money you paid into his account and he is desperate for cash. If you do as the others have suggested and go to the police, mention his company status to them. If you aren't careful he may point his creditors in your direction.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Probably not.

What do you owe him?

We are withholding about £100 in material receipts

Was his original quote an actual quote or an estimate?

A quote

If it was a quote then you are entitled to hold him to it.

If it was an estimate then you are liable to pay actual costs though I believe you can refuse if the difference is excessive (9 weeks as opposed to 2.5 is excessive).

You must pay him for the agreed materials.

Obviously, you may feel that his bill is fair in which case you should pay it.

We have paid the bill for labour, in full.
                It seems a tad unfair that we are having to pay for locks because of this crazy and yet we must pay him outstanding monies (not agreed) as well as our expense.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Let's go back to your first post:

Do you have a date for when the company was dissolved and how does it relate to the work done and monies paid?

My guess is that he didn't get his hands on the money you paid into his account and he is desperate for cash. If you do as the others have suggested and go to the police, mention his company status to them. If you aren't careful he may point his creditors in your direction.
                  Monies paid into private accounts (2 different ones)....

It seems to me that the cowboy is trading under the name of a dissolved company. Therefore he will be avoiding tax and probably receiving benefit.

This doesn't look good for him.

Comment

Monies paid into private accounts (2 different ones)....

It seems to me that the cowboy is trading under the name of a dissolved company. Therefore he will be avoiding tax and probably receiving benefit.

This doesn't look good for him.

I seem to remember he wanted paying in CASH?

Reading all these posts You are now armed with all the info you require mate. Dont pay a penny more.

He is trading under a dissolved company name
                    Did he charge you VAT on his bill? (If so he is illegally collecting and pocketing VAT)
                    He's probably not paying TAX

Tell him the above and everything else you know, invite him to take you to court - i bet he wont.

Comment

on the other hand -

if he is a gypsy/traveller, try to reach an agreement between you. You dont want any of those scrotes on your doorstep.

Comment

Working...
                      X