• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gretsch Guitar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Well the gig was a great success but still have setup problems on the Gretsch "grr" at the pro who set it up, so switched to my backup "axe".

Eventually the cops came in and shut the gig down in the middle of a raucous Buddy Holly number, sort of fitted in with our image as a 50's Rockabilly outfit.
    Glad to hear you had a good time.

There are loads of guitar-tech clips on YouTube. Have you tried looking at any of those for advice?

Comment

Yes I think I need to shift the bridge around. It isn't indvifually adjustable with screws but it "floats", so you move it, not nice though, so I think I may just upgrade the whole thing, hammer some frets down (as outlined in instructions shipped with the guitar ) stick a proper bridge on, better machine head, and an upgraded bigsby perhaps, essentially it should then just be a 6120 with a "made in Korea" label.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Having now done a couple of gigs with the Gretsch, the Rickenbacker, remains boxed up.

However after a well received "Rock this Town" in the pub I'm now keen to chase up the Brian Setzer raunchy sound. I found a demo on you tube, lesson on Rock this Town, so I'm just perfecting the riffs and solos. Now the guitar on this demo really has a superb sound. Not sure what makes it. Now it is an expensive Gretsch, but I think it's the pick-ups and perhaps the type of slap-back echo.

Any tips on how to recreate without spending thousands of pounds? Would TV Jones classic pickups and any old tape echo effects be it?
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

after much umming and aahing I'm on the verge of buying this:

http://www.audioelectric.de/shop/pro...oducts_id=5176

comments?
          Have you looked at Wizard Guitars?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yeah thx but was looking to upgrade what I have.
            I did see a guitar on the Internet, was a private demo of a cheap Gretsch, which I have and he was very close to the sound I'm looking for, but I'm not sure if that's the pick-ups or the amp plus effects. The expensive Gretsch just give a subtle higher quality sound to whatever you have.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

after much umming and aahing I'm on the verge of buying this:

http://www.audioelectric.de/shop/pro...oducts_id=5176

comments?
              No this is better

http://www.thomann.de/gr/gibson_gary...60a68127786c3d
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Any tips on how to recreate without spending thousands of pounds? Would TV Jones classic pickups and any old tape echo effects be it?
                I know this might seem a stupid answer - but why not just e-mail Brian Setzer via his website (I assume he has one) and ask him?
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Now that's a good idea, at least there might be an assistant who knows the answer. In fact I might mail some people doing great demos and ask them.

I would be prepared to pay a few hundred quid for an upgrade and the appropriate effects box if I knew it did the trick. If it didn't it might be a wasted investment.

In fact I have a gig on Friday, so I was going to select a Fender amp valve sound as opposed to the ultra clean setting, put a bit more tape echo than I normally have and drive to the verge of distortion see if that raunch comes through. But having read up, I think it is possible that the DeArmond 2000 pickups are a bit tamer than the Dynasonic or or TV Jones pickups, so I could imagine this might help. Plus a better bridge and perhaps a lower action with thicker strings might help as well.

Anyway I find Buddy Holly a hell of a lot easier to emulate, but he had a simple guitar sound.

See how it goes, the main motivator was the audience reaction to it, as originally we were focussing on a Buddy Holly sound. But with shouts of "more more" etc this seems like a path worth following.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 November 2009, 16:19.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Now that's a good idea, at least there might be an assistant who knows the answer. In fact I might mail some people doing great demos and ask them.

I would be prepared to pay a few hundred quid for an upgrade and the appropriate effects box if I knew it did the trick. If it didn't it might be a wasted investment.
                    Let me know when you get something on Youtube!

As an aside; have you heard "Please Mama Please" by Go Cat Go? Wicked!
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

yeah I'll check it out.

Might be worth looking up some modern Rockabilly stuff, and put more of it in the gigs.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X