• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here we go - cue Campbell, shovels & the 7 dwarfs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Funny isnt it, Tony sazs the people are wrong when he goes to war against their wishes as Tony knows best, yet he believes the poeple know best when it comes to detention of suspects."

From the Blair perspective, the police wanted the 90 days thing and should have got it. Did the wishes of the police come into play when they were talking about extending pub opening hours?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      From the Blair perspective, the police wanted the 90 days thing and should have got it. Did the wishes of the police come into play when they were talking about extending pub opening hours?
      I believe that point was also raised on QT last night by one member of the audience as well.

Good to see "Buff" Hoon booed several times. Shows just how popular these bunch of charlatans are...
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Captured Britons released in Iran
        A British man has described how he, his wife and an Australian man were held for 13 days by Iranian authorities during a sailing trip.

Rupert and Linda Wise and Paul Shulton were seized by the Iranian Navy as they sailed from their home in Dubai to a disputed island in the Gulf.
        Well I find it interesting that a couple of Brits get banged up without charge for a few days and the Foreign Office goes mental:
        A British man has described how he, his wife and an Australian man were held for 13 days by Iranian authorities during a sailing trip.

Rupert and Linda Wise and Paul Shulton were seized by the Iranian Navy as they sailed from their home in Dubai to a disputed island in the Gulf.

Mr Wise said they still do not know why they were questioned for days while kept under armed guard.

They were freed after intense pressure from the British Foreign Office.
        No - it wasn't a very nice thing to do to the poor man and his wife. Howver, Blair and co want to do similar for 90 days without any explanation as to what's going on.

Does anybody else start to detect the smell of double standards here, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
          Nice to hear that you like to read both sides of an argument!
          Or are you stuck on the propagander from the "true Source" He! He!
          It would be nice if they could provide an argument better than the police asked for it. Of course it would be easier to find something if people can be locked up while you do it! Does not make it right.

As for the "true source" which one would that be? Me I was using my own opinion (which can be changed if you can find a good argument). I remain opposed to gaoling anybody without charge. Incidentally on last night's Question Time Geoff Hoon did not cite one example of the Police taking 90 days to collect information. The Tory woman mentioned one that needed 28 days. Of the something like 2,800 of people held under terrorism laws only about 14 were eventually charged. Blair can witter on all he likes. It does not change the fact that Mr Blair voted three times against Anti-terrorism legislation when in opposition. It does not change the fact that he opposed public opinion when it suited him and took us into a war which see British troops fighting a guerilla war for a long time yet. (now he wants to take notice of it ). You know one of the Labour MP's that voted with the Government represents an area full of Muslims (containing one of the largest Turkish Muslim Centers in Western Europe) - some of whom would have been taking the number 26 bus by the way. Well given the number of Asians who have been held under terrosim law, the increase in stop and search of the same ethnic group so she really took notice of her constituence did n't she?

Blair already has had an doubling of the period anyway (it was originally 7 days - then 14, now it's 28)

Incidentally the number 26 bus. The one which was on the 2nd set of failed bombings. I use that bus frequently so I was potentially in the firing line. The day that the bombings went off my wife was on London Transport buses. So please do not think that I am ignoring the terrorist threat. Nor give me any of this jibberish about the threat being different. Terrorist cells have been common, even during the days of the Bieder Meinhof and the various republican groups (getting finance from America by the way). There is no difference really between the person who throws a bomb into a crowded bar (as the IRA did in the mid 70's) and the person who walks in strapped to their body and takes themselves out as well.

Put into it's proper context there are 3million journeys taken on public transport in London in one day. The chances of being on one hit is very small.

The government did not justify the 90 days and are using fear to scare the voters into agreeing to the holding of people without charge and throwing out nearly 800 years of freedoms that people in this country gave their lives for.
          Last edited by zathras; 11 November 2005, 16:41.

Comment

Well said that man.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Your rollin smilie is stuck...
              Not now it is n't!

Comment

Working...
              X