• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double Glazing price /recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    Get wooden windows and doors...plastic is very chav...doesn't last as long (assuming you maintain it), and adds value to your house as it looks a LOT better
    Ohh FFS.

Yes wood is nicer but it won't recoup the extra cost in a sale and it needs maintaining.

And as mentioned before what the feck have windows got to do with tattoo's and burberry caps?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Ohh FFS.

Yes wood is nicer but it won't recoup the extra cost in a sale and it needs maintaining.

And as mentioned before what the flip have windows got to do with tattoo's and burberry caps?
      A nice house can be ruined by plastic windows - admittedly, it depends on the house, but an old house with plastic windows probably says a lot about the inhabitants...

And we're contractors...spend what you earn you tight gits!

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
        A nice house can be ruined by plastic windows - admittedly, it depends on the house, but an old house with plastic windows probably says a lot about the inhabitants...

And we're contractors...spend what you earn you tight gits!
        If you say so...
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I had 4 qiute large windows done in PVC with georgian bars by Coral Windows about 3 years ago.

Great service, nice job, very neat and tidy. £3200.

Comment

think urself lucky you dont live in a listed building, just got a bill for £5.5K for 2 sash windows

Comment

Get the work done by a local company THAT HAS BEEN TRADING FOR YEARS.
              Double-glazing companies are notorious for going out of business after short periods of time.

Get down the library, whip out the microfisches, and look at the adverts in the Gateshead Gazette (or whatever your area is) in 1992 for double glazing companies that were trading back then.

Also google their names to see if any tulip comes up on them of course...

Comment

Fensa (Fenestration Self Assessment) just means that the building inspector doesn`t need to come round and certify the windows to building standards.

Comment

We had our Bristol Victorian terrace re-windowed (is that a word?) about eight years ago. Funds were tight and we had to get all of the windows done because the replaced windows were falling out. We used a company with the same name as a large mountain at a cost of about £9k. The windows are pants and so bad that we had a full refund.
                  We are now looking at replacing these nasty cheap wonky windows with hardwood. The Upvc sash ones are Ok (if they worked) but they just don't look right in a Victorian house.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                    Hi people,

I am about to get my double glazing don in white PVC with Georgian bars

This if for 7 windows, 1 door and 1 patio/french door.I have been quoted £5500 by britelite and £4500 by Anglian

Just wanted to know if anyone had any cooments on these two firms and what price they did similar amount of windows/doors done lately

cheers

css_jay99
                    i have installed my 6 windows and a door for £2500 with nice service from a nice person. PM me if you want
                    Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X