• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double Glazing price /recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unwitting Catalyst View Post
    Plastic windows are for chavs and go yellow after a few years whoever you buy them from. Get some proper hardwood windows. A coat of varnish every 5 years and they'll last forever. You wouldn't go out and buy a cheap/nasty car so why buy cheap/nasty window frames?
    Classing everything beneath you as chav is a chav trait.

Hardwood double glazing costs 5x that of UPVC, I'm not going to spend 30k on windows for a 3 bed when it will only add about 5k to the value of the house.

I'd agree that a hardwood front door is worthwhile.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Classing everything beneath you as chav is a chav trait.

Hardwood double glazing costs 5x that of UPVC, I'm not going to spend 30k on windows for a 3 bed when it will only add about 5k to the value of the house.

I'd agree that a hardwood front door is worthwhile.
      I don't think it adds 5K to your average house, may add some at the top end !? I've sold houses with both and people were actually expressing a desire for placcie. They aren't 5X pricier, depends on the wood etc etc

Comment

Find a local.
        I had two normal windows replaced and a large bay window and a pair of balcony doors replaced for < £2000. THis was done recentlty, all windows and doors vented and lockable.

Beware of the Weather Shielding similarly named company, their no obligation quotes come with insulting high pressure angry calls from the regional manner if you don`t say "yes please, please rip me off" to their vastly inflated prices.

Comment

Definately check out the local options. We had 11 windows and 1 door done for around £3000 using a local firm ( but then we are "oop north" ). The nationals wanted twice that. FENSA certified with a 10 year insurance backed guarentee.

No hard sell, one visit, measure up, choose the style and quote us a price.

Happy for us to shop around and get back to them.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Hardwood is more environmentaly sound than plastic
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Definately check out the local options. We had 11 windows and 1 door done for around £3000 using a local firm ( but then we are "oop north" ). The nationals wanted twice that. FENSA certified with a 10 year insurance backed guarentee.

No hard sell, one visit, measure up, choose the style and quote us a price.

Happy for us to shop around and get back to them.

that certainly is cheap!

I assume that if I can get the Anlian quote down to around £3500, then that should be a good deal?

Comment

Whoever you go with , make sure the guarantee is Insurance backed ( who is the underwriter ) and NOT just a guarantee provided by the selling company. 'Cos if they go ....so does the guarantee.
                Everyone is hung up on FENSA but when you call them it refers to the GLASS - not the frames/workmanship !

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                  that certainly is cheap!

I assume that if I can get the Anlian quote down to around £3500, then that should be a good deal?
                  Depends on the service you get from them. At least with a local firm if anything goes wrong you know where to find them and where to go to shout at them. This tends to focus minds a little more on customer service / satisfaction. UNless there is no-one local who can do the job for reasonable price I wouldnt touch any of the national DG firms.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Depends on the service you get from them. At least with a local firm if anything goes wrong you know where to find them and where to go to shout at them. This tends to focus minds a little more on customer service / satisfaction. UNless there is no-one local who can do the job for reasonable price I wouldnt touch any of the national DG firms.
                    I just had a look at yell.com for local firms and these is what i found
                    1) cross checked addresses to googlemap/streetview photo's and they are just ordinary residental houses. they are Fensa registered ....but...
                    2) others with trading shops, I called them to ask what frames&windows they use and i was given names which did not have much internet presence or seem to be at the cheap end of the market.

I asked my neigbours but all seem to have used big companies in generall.

I was trying to schedule the work in asap as I have guests on holiday staying with me. This saves me having to stay at home loosing on my daily rate while window is installed

allready had a call from Anglian but told them i was too busy to talk

Comment

Get wooden windows and doors...plastic is very chav...doesn't last as long (assuming you maintain it), and adds value to your house as it looks a LOT better

Comment

Working...
                      X