• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I get Paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I get Paid?

I sometimes do a day here and a day there for a consultancy in London. They had asked me to go to a client site and help the lead developer with a migration from Crystal 6 to Crystal 9 and embed it into the CRM system.

I was a little confused as this is really easy. When I spoke to him he banged on about linking the reports to the CRM forms and firing them off on the press of a button and that he couldnt find any documentation.

I do crystal. I dont do Remedy development work.

So I went to the office to have a practice and realised it was actually a piece of development work on the CRM as opposed to anything to with Crystal. I worked out 4 methods and toddled off up there. Told the consultancdy and they went - yeh just help him.

Anyway the lead developer was a 'yeh, yeh, yeh, I no that, show me this instead'

1st Thing - No report module in the CRM. Turned out they had no license and it wasnt part of the standard install even though it was on all others. Had to put in support call to base to realise they hadnt bought it. So scuppered methods 1.

Method 2 he wasnt interested in.

So went to show him Method 3/4. Added the code to the forms, went through the process and there was a problem with the server for the CRM. Eventually had to put in a support call and configured it for this problem. Ran it and it didnt work. Then had to put in another support call and it transpired that the patch was wrong on the CRM - so downloaded and patched it. Still didnt work.

Then there was a problem with the install of SQL Server, which I modified, then tried again. Still problems. Realised the problem was one of two things

a) Setting on SQL Server
    or b) Crystal needed an update.

Neither one he could do today. Then he said, well you've shown me how to do it, I understand its a config problem and we need to change inside, so you may as well go back to base and find out why my system doenst work. By the way, not going to pay you until it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he sent me on my way. 280 mile round trip. On the road for 7 hours. At the site for 3 hours. Problem not solved.

Who pays me? Do I still invoice the consultancy, even though the client didnt get his system working?

MF in 'Never happened to me as a contractor before' Mode.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    280 mile round trip.
    Is not it 40 pence per each mile plus VAT back for fuel? Not bad for a report monkey.

Comment

Sounds like a time and materials contract that should cover expenses.

Invoice the Consultancy, if it is pre-sales (e.g. bid support) or passed on (re-charge) it is their problem not yours.

The fact that you are flexible and prepared to work on a one-off, immediately available (call-off) basis should command a significant premium.

Tell the Consultancy to pay up and settle any issues.

Invoice for your time and travel costs.
      Last edited by ancient; 10 November 2005, 19:46.

Comment

What do I invoice for then?

Comment

What do I invoice for then?
          1 day sounds fair to me -- AFAIK when you have to drive so fking far away then it counts towards working time.

Comment

agent

What you need is an agent to sort this out for you
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

do you have an associate agreement in place or did you get a PO for the day?

I do this from time to time as well and it's best to get a PO and for, in your case, the consultancy to receive your standard t's and c's. That way there is no confusion.

As said already, invoice them for a day and give them the standard 30 days. The end client sounds a pain in the ass so whether you want to go back is another argument.

Just my 2p's worth.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Dont think it will necessarily be a problem, but I like to do a days work and get paid for it. Not land up looking like some plum because x,y,z, a, b, c isnt configured or not set up properly.

Should have been a tricky job for the day, but I spent a day preparing for it! (for free)

Comment

Should have been a tricky job for the day, but I spent a day preparing for it! (for free)
                  Now that's your problem -- if you had to prepare it shows you were not ready and client certainly should expect you to be ready for the job. Its another matter whether its worth for you to take on something you don't know that actually makes little money for your overall time.

Comment

Have you considered giving it all up and being a shop keeper?

Shop keeper. That's the future.

Milan

Comment

Working...
                    X