• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evening everybody!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<zip opens beer>

How many posts before you are unmoderated?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Realityhack: You missed the party??? That makes two of us I only said hello and this huge rush of people came flooding to the thread, turned up at my door minutes later, spilt beer in my pool and everything

On a serious note, to tell you all about Sockpuppet's "thrown into contracting" comment. Basically I used to be an Installation Manager at a telecomms company in Leicester. However, coming from a games industry background I was headhunted on LinkedIn for a Producer role over in Canada producing games for the iPhone. 2 interviews later and a bit of negotiating, that was it. I was off to Canada. Contract signed and all that malarky and they were sorting out all the immigration for me. All's I had to do was turn up and produce some games. Started tiing up all the loose ends here in the UK preparing for an imminent move and then at the 11th hour I get the message that the canadian LMO has not been in my favour. I got two different stories from the company from two different people. Not sure I will ever know what happened entirely but I get the impression that they were also meant to put a certain amount of effort into recruiting a Canadian person before looking overseas. Reading between the lines I'm not sure if that happened or not.

So that was it, no longer going to Canada I'm left working in Europe again. However, in my previous job I was already training my replacement. Hence, I'm left to go sort out another full time job, or give this contracting a crack. So here I am looking for my first contract

And thats me really....

Comment

Ugh. What happened? Where am I?

Oh, sorry about that secret stash of vodka in the study. Nice comfy sofa you have in there.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

You must have been very disappointed about the Canada job (and missing your party)

Have a beer
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyMarkus View Post
            I was off to Canada ... no longer going to Canada
            Gutted, absolutely gutted for you.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I was off to Canada. Contract signed and all that malarky and they were sorting out all the immigration for me.
              If it's any consolation, jobs in far flung places have a habit of resurfacing later on. Good luck!
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Just thought i'd introduce myself to the forums. I'm new to contracting and had this place recommended to me by a mate. So here I am. My first post saying Hi. From the midlands area if anyone is local...
                Sockpuppet has done a good job of protecting your furniture, I see...

Hiya Shady...

I'm Midlands myself, but working in Newbury at the mo'....
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Just thought i'd introduce myself to the forums. I'm new to contracting and had this place recommended to me by a mate. So here I am. My first post saying Hi. From the midlands area if anyone is local...
                  Hiya Shady, I'm also from the midlands area - working in brum.

Welcome and sorry to hear about the canada gig.

Comment

Hey all, thanks about the Canada stuff. Appreciated! However, i've got thick skin and to be honest, I think all things said and done I'll pull something out the bag. Never failed yet! I'm just excited about the next couple of months to be honest.

Oh and Cojak and FiveTimes. Good to see some locals on here I actually studied in brum back in my uni days haha.

Comment

all things said and done I'll pull something out the bag.
                      You certainly will. I crapped in that this morning just before I left.

Bye!
                      Last edited by RichardCranium; 24 August 2009, 17:34.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X