• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Usain Bolt sets new 100m world record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he is genuine, the other fastest person in the world who got banned Ben something looked pumped full of steriods, this Bolt bloke looks like he goes to a nightclub every Friday and has a Kebab on his way home.

He is 6ft 5in and not a beanpole or a bodybuilding freak at that height, just someone who can run like ****.

Comment

He's certainly aptly named.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Britain's Jessica Ennis won gold in the Heptathlon, by a wide margin. BBC radio news mentioned Bolt's win as first item on the news; Ennis's win not at all.

Why not? What's wrong with one of ours doing well? Why was she not mentioned, trumpeted as a triumph, even? Can you imagine anybody else doing that, for example Jamaican News reporting Ennis and not mentioning Bolt? No, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          He's certainly aptly named.
          Yes, he represents the muslim future of the UK.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
            I was about to do a poll to find out if the multitude of sporty types on this forum felt he was 'clean'.

I have my doubts.
            I think he is clean. As was mentioned, he's not overly bulky, so steroid use seems unlikely. Use of stimulants seems unlikely too, seeing as these, as well as steroids, often adversely affect coordination and running technique. He has a very good technique, and for a tall man he coordinates his strength at the start very well indeed. Also, he's been injury free for a few years running now, apart from minor muscle stretches; drugged athletes tend to get more injuries as their muscle strength grows too fast for their tendons and ligaments.

I really think that what sets him aside is his height; conventional wisdom is that a tall guy should be better at 400 metres where his stride length is an advantage, but the lack of coordination at the start is not a disadvantage. Bolt's rewritten the rules; if you can get a tall guy to start well and be there or thereabouts at half way, he'll win by maintaining a high top speed for longer than the rest, simply because he needs less paces to reach the end.

National athletics coaches looking out for talent will now look for tall sprinters instead of short chunky guys. Perhaps that's what they should have been doing all along, but that's hindsight.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Britain's Jessica Ennis won gold in the Heptathlon, by a wide margin. BBC radio news mentioned Bolt's win as first item on the news; Ennis's win not at all.

Why not? What's wrong with one of ours doing well? Why was she not mentioned, trumpeted as a triumph, even? Can you imagine anybody else doing that, for example Jamaican News reporting Ennis and not mentioning Bolt? No, indeed.
              Ennis didn't beat the world record by a considerable margin.

She was on BBC television news straight after the Bolt article.

If it's any consolation, she's in contention for the BBC sports personality of the year after her hard luck story last year.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

- Women's heptathlon is a minor event in comparison to the mens 100 metres.
                - 95% of the population have never heard of Jessica Ennis
                - He set a world record, she won an arbitrary event
                - She should have got a mention near the end of the athletics bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  Yes, he represents the muslim future of the UK.
                  Is this why the Scandis have never been renowned for their humour?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Amazing. I've just been told why our gold medal winner is not worth even mentioning on BBC Radio news. You miserable tiny-minded pusillanimous gits, some of you deserve what you have made of this once great country.

Disgusted.......

Comment

Amazing. I've just been told why our gold medal winner is not worth even mentioning on BBC Radio news. You miserable tiny-minded pusillanimous gits, some of you deserve what you have made of this once great country.

Disgusted.......
                      Expat you never seemed to be a Daily Mail type to me ...
                      Be careful that being on the bench does not make you so
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X