• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

25 years ago on this day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    i was a ...spotty oik.

Plus ca change.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I started in 1982, retraining into IT and learning Cobol and RPG. Punched Tape and Hollerith Cards were the latest technology. Quite a common bug at this site was caused by a punch tape machine that failed to punch a hole sometimes.
      The batch run was done by feeding these cards into a card reader. I remember one weekend when the boss had repunched the batch because the cards were getting dog-eared but unfortunately done it on the dodgy punch-machine. I got an emergency call from a very angry operator because the batch failed on the very first step !!

Comment

Cyberman, you are an idiot.

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        I started in 1982, retraining into IT and learning Cobol and RPG. Punched Tape and Hollerith Cards were the latest technology.
        COBOL.

The latest technology? Hollerith invented the punched cards a hundred years before 1982. Paper tape was on its way out by 1982.

Quite a common bug at this site was caused by a punch tape machine that failed to punch a hole sometimes.
        That's not a bug, it's a hardware fault.

Do you know nothing about everything?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

COBOL.

The latest technology? Hollerith invented the punched cards a hundred years before 1982. Paper tape was on its way out by 1982.

It's a hardware fault that caused a 'bug' in the software !!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            C on IBM Unix machines (RS6000??) in 1989. For a software house that failed in the 1990/1991 recession so I didn't even get salary that was due to me.
            That was state of the art at the time. I still love vi. At £14K for a graduate starter outside London, I felt loaded.
            I remember when I was so impressed at my first job getting £5600 a year....

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

COBOL.

He wasn't very good at this IT lark. It's why he's been unemployed erm retired all these years.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I remember when I was so impressed at my first job getting £5600 a year....

My first full-time job paid me about 1000 quid a year as a banker which gave me the princely sum of net 47 quid in my first month.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  so I didn't even get salary that was due to me.
                  These things even out sg. Look at how much they are giving you now for spending most of your working day coming on here and talking puerile nonsense from the retard perspective.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My first full-time job paid me about 1000 quid a year as a banker which gave me the princely sum of net 47 quid in my first month.
                    Yes, and you are now more of a "banker" than ever.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      25 years ago I was writing data analysis software on VMS using PL/I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/I
                      http://www.iron-spring.com/prog_guide.html
                      Always liked PL/I. 25 years ago I was using COBOL on VMS. FORTAN et al came with the header files for calling system services; VMS COBOL didn't, so you had to write your own.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X