• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best place to buy Euros for holiday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cash machine on the mainland is easiest way. (Used to) help if you had a Nationwide account as there were no charges. It's always worth having a small wad of Euros floating around at home before you go.

If you really want to get the best rate then ask someone at work who has a pile of Euros. You'll get a perfect transaction rate then.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      The Post Office. If there is one within 100 miles of you.
      WHS. Except that its probably more than 100 miles away. Rates always seem to be better at the PO.

Mrs BP will be getting some euros this week for our honeymoon to Italy.

Comment

If you're buying a reasonable amount, those that charge commission often work out better value than those that don't.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Nationwide always give very good exchange rates when using your Debit card from ATMs abroad, and no fee within Euroland. I went to Turkey last week which is outsie of Europe and they are suppsed to be charging a £1.50 fee for FX but didn't do it there either.

WHS.... Nationwide Debit or Credit cards are always the best value, and of course safer than carrying wads of cash. I also tend to load the credit card with sterling before I go abroad to save on daily interest for cash withdrawn.

Comment

i use the post office, good rate with no commission and if you order enough they deliver to your house for free, even on a saturday (charge for sat delivery).

Comment

Originally posted by dozer View Post
              i use the post office, good rate with no commission and if you order enough they deliver to your house for free, even on a saturday (charge for sat delivery).

Sounds like they're giving it away !!

Comment

I've found the Post Office the best too, plus they often have currencies in stock that aren't that common like Danish Kroner.

Comment

I use these people - they are very good.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I always used to go to these people:

http://www.cityforex.co.uk/

Probably not too convenient if you are in Swindon though.

EDIT: I have to take that back they do next day delivery too, even to Swindon.
                    Last edited by Gonzo; 4 August 2009, 08:11.

Comment

Of course, living in a 1st world country, I just go to the cashpoint, and select the option to withdraw cash in Euros.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X