• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Lovely. A new tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been proposed since the 1990s. The only surprise is that it's taken so long to implement. Of course the spin is that it's Green-influenced, but as alluded to earlier it's another tax on jobs, and another reason for firms to outsource/move off-shore. I'm not totally convinced that it's solely a Labour thing either - when Dave first became Tory leader he went through the hoops to "prove" he was into the Green thing - didn't he fly to the Artic circle or something daft? Consequently I can't see his being elected making much difference - he'll still be interested in the potential tax receipts. All very depressing.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      What next? X hundred pounds a year to park your car on your own drive at home, added to your council tax.
      Park on your patio, they can't tax it twice can they?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
        This has been proposed since the 1990s. The only surprise is that it's taken so long to implement. Of course the spin is that it's Green-influenced, but as alluded to earlier it's another tax on jobs, and another reason for firms to outsource/move off-shore. I'm not totally convinced that it's solely a Labour thing either - when Dave first became Tory leader he went through the hoops to "prove" he was into the Green thing - didn't he fly to the Artic circle or something daft? Consequently I can't see his being elected making much difference - he'll still be interested in the potential tax receipts. All very depressing.
        Correct - first mooted by fatso Lawson in the 80s still a tulipe idea though

Comment

What next? X hundred pounds a year to park your car on your own drive at home, added to your council tax.
          In Zurich you have to pay.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

This is definitely not new.

When the BBC built the White City building in the early 1990s the local council initially refused planning permission for any car park on the site as a traffic management measure. It was council policy that no business would be given planning permission for parking spaces. After a battle, the council said the site could have parking spaces but the Beeb must charge the staff for them. So they did. It was in the order a couple of hundred quid a year.

It's just an old idea coming round again. Local authorities are like that.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I don't think this will take off. The british motorist is still a powerful lobby.

The warehouses i design have upwards of five hundred parking spaces. Not that they all get used. The car parks are just yard space with lines on. This would cause business to move.

Comment

Message to all big companies out there facing yet more red tape and more business taxes under Labour.

Taxes are very low in India and the workers are generally degree educated and hardworking.

Just a thought.

Comment

Message to all big companies out there facing yet more red tape and more business taxes under Labour.

Taxes are very low in India and the workers are generally degree educated and hardworking.

Just a thought.

Exactly, you can't fault a company offshoring these days.

I was working in an brand new office last year, they were not allowed to build the car park the full size of the ground available to 'encourage the use of public transport'.

Comment

Thats cool I can then implement my plan B and be a winner.

Question: If I place my four wheels of my car on four patio blocks from my house (My plan B to sell 4 patio blocks gift wrapped and guaranteed) in the works car park, am I parked on my patio now classed as a mobile patio (patent pending) in the works car park or am I still parked on my patio blocks on the works car park? - Big difference of the prepositions "in" and on"

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                      The british motorist is still a powerful lobby.
                      No I don't think the motorist lobby is powerful at all: motorists have for years been screwed on road tax, stupidly high fuel prices, insurance tax, speed cameras, the MOT is essentially a tax and now this.

The British motorist is a cash cow.

Comment

Working...
                      X