• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permy German Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    It appears tax is higher in DE

Does a functional health service, what seem to be pretty good unemployment insurance make up for it?

The cost of living appears to be less as well?
    Unemployment benefit is very good and the state pension is much higher, 60% of salary approx. Health service is generally much better i.e. no waiting lists.

Yes everything is much cheaper than in the UK so your lower take home does go much further. You can do a meal with wine for about 20 Euros, 30 absolute max.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
      What? You can't watch TV after 10pm? Or is it against the law to play it too loud?

Also how would they know if you weren't payng the "church tax", and what business is it of theirs what your religion is?

You will find as an Auslander you will not be able to make any noise which is demed by your neighbors as being 'too loud' after 10pm - save the sound of your boots being dragged over the cobblestones by the Ordungsampt.

But on the plus side - they do have an excellent Heath Service.

And an excellent Social Security System.

And some gorgeous women.

And some wonderful Beers.

As for the Church Tax this is administred by - The Church Police.

So you might get a knock on the door from the Vicar-General-Von Brimstone

PS I opted not to pay the Church Tax - at the time my German girfriend explaiined to me its not a big deal - unless you want to get a Church wedding or burial - well I didnt fancy either of those options - I still had to pay re-unification tax - you cannot opt out of that one ...

PPS Do not wash your car in the street - you will be fined for this - you have to use a local Car Wash
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 July 2009, 09:56.

Comment

no noise is to be made on a sunday either.. i.e chopping wood for the log fire in winter and/or hammering IKEA units together..
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          no noise is to be made on a sunday either.. i.e chopping wood for the log fire in winter and/or hammering IKEA units together..

CareFul with that Axe Chef ...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Yes you can watch TV after 10pm. If not then how would I be able to watch those top notch art programs? It can be against the 'hausordnung' to play it too loud though after 10pm but that's never stopped me. The neighbours must think that I'm a very cultural person.
            Any recommendations on those art programmes?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
            X