• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It hasn't been this big since 1974

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8160614.stm

Total outstanding government debt in the UK has risen to a record £799bn, or 56.6% of UK GDP - the highest since records began in 1974.

Didn't we have a Labour government then as well?

Is there a pattern emerging?

In those days we had massive problems with miners and electrician strikes, and also were held to ransom by the oil states. Nowadays we have no such excuse. We just have a crap government that does not understand that you should not spend more than you have to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Paying Richard the Lionheart's ransom of 150,000 marks resulted in a national debt of 300% GDP. That was in the 1190s so a bit before my time.
      Richard I said he'd be happy to sell London if anyone would have it.

I think before long the NHS will be up for sale too, if some Yank investors can afford it and want it. And a good thing too - It's a millstone round our necks, and high time it was privatized.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        I've said all along that we are losing a billion pounds every two days. This just underlines further that dire situation and the need for HMG to stop wasting money. The sooner that they start making savings, the less we will have to pay later, but they just seem too thick to understand this simple truth.
        On the evidence of that post, I'm afraid it's you who are too thick to understand the simple truth - Gordon Brown will do *anything* in the forlorn hope of winning the next election, including screwing up the economy for the next ten or twenty years.

That's *all* he cares about, postponing the day of reckoning until after the election.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Londres?
          C'est à vendre

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8160614.stm

Total outstanding government debt in the UK has risen to a record £799bn, or 56.6% of UK GDP - the highest since records began in 1974.

Didn't we have a Labour government then as well?

Is there a pattern emerging?

I like the cheery note on which the article ended:

Meanwhile, a National Audit Office (NAO) report said that tax receipts fell by 10% in the past year - the biggest fall since 1923.

Comment

I think before long the NHS will be up for sale too, if some Yank investors can afford it and want it. And a good thing too - It's a millstone round our necks, and high time it was privatized.
              Why not just close it down and make everyone go private?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Yes.

I trust you are looking forward to 33% basic rate tax again...

You never know, maybe they'll bring back Selective Employment Tax as well...
                IR35, 2009 ... it's back, and this time it's pissed off!

Comment

How can it ever be profitable while still giving a welfare state? Or do you suggest a privatised company which still gets substantial government subsidy/investment?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X