• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who Invented Heavy Metal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    This is an interesting discussion - but. Does it hack anyone else off how so many spods and spotters insist on precise definitions of genres of popular music? I'm thinking more of dance music than rock, and although some of the definitions are hilarious, there are some real saddos arguing about whether some track/band is one genre or another.
    Uh-huh: classification is supposed to be a help, not a problem in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      Long running discussion point this.
      IMO it's Black Sabbath. Remember we're talking METAL not ROCK.
      Iron Butterfly
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

In fact I invented what would be commonly termed 'Heavy Metal' back in the late 70's/early 80's. I had been playing in a punk band and was getting a bit bored of what we were doing. By playing the tunes a lot faster and a lot louder it sounded quite good and we did quite a number of gigs around the country. One gig saw a fledgling band called Discharge come to see us and liked the way we played and basically copied us. They in turn were seen by members of Metallica (or whatever they were called then) who took the sound back to the USA and there you have it. I could have been a contender me
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          I was watching Mountain (Nantucket Sleighride) on the Woodstock DVD the other day and they came over quite metal to me - particularly the vocals. I'm guessing they were around some time before Sabbath, Led Zep etc.
          A great band! Nantucket Sleighride is a true classic amongst classics!

The Wikipedia page says- "They were influential during the development of hard rock and are considered a forerunner to heavy metal music"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_(band)
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X