• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Ah DA
    But I must say I did prefer your Arthur Daley picture, I thought it was quite impressive.
    Have to agree there, and much more appropriate some how.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Agents, agents, agents; really take the fun out of contracting. That and clients who expect you to work in return for your daily sum.

I love the way agents work the guilt trip if you accept another offer.

Is it easier dealing direct with clients?
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
        Is it easier dealing direct with clients?
        Not necessarily, it highly depends on the client. However, at least what difficulties arise are entirely down to (or inspite of) your own abilities, you can directly influence what those problems are, and are personally involved in resolving them. So, in summary, sometimes it is easier, sometimes not, but it's a different set of problems and there isn't some feckless clod sitting in between the two parties confusing the issue.

Comment

Thanks, LB. I appreciate that working direct can involve a lot more work and expense; marketing, selling, contract management, etc. And quite often for the same rate as via an agency. Financially it strikes me that there isn't much to gain from operating direct, but what tempts me is the thought of cutting agents out of the picture. Dealing with agents always leaves me feeling depressed and dirty. Now I pay good money for Nanny Bishop to leave me feeling depressed and dirty on a Friday evening, so I have no need for agents to do the same every time it comes to contract hunting.

Have to admit though, some of those female agents can be very nice. Very nice but oh so wrong...

Comment

There's shedloads to gain financially from trading direct. An agency contract will force you into a one-man-only, one-contract-at-a-time, fixed-billing-for-time way of working that usually caps your selling power at a low 6-figure turnover.

Comment

Thunderlizard has hit it on the head, WageSlave. It is the flexibility that is worth its weight in gold when dealing direct. You are also dealing with the client on more of a level playing field and there is much more likelihood they will see you as a business partner providing a solution rather than a hired gimp. Plus, of course, you can use whatever methods are necessary to get the job done without the agent getting in the way, and negotiate the appropriate procing model for the job (which is unlikely to be an ageny style £x/day model).

Of course, the rough comes with the smooth. I see some of agency boys on the board occasionally complaining that they don't get their money within a week of invoicing. With my largest client I won't get the money until 90 days after presenting the invoice, which could very well be 6 months after the work was done.

Comment

TL and TL, you're both right; I wasn't thinking in terms of business but rather a lone gimp for hire. It's certainly something I want to do in the future but I think until I can build up a stronger CV (in terms of years) and put a little aside to cover those x months until the bill is paid I'm stuck with the pimps.

Plenty to chew over. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X