• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At least in England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Compared to German food it is.
    Czech food ain't that great either - unless you like dumplings with your pigmeat.

I quite like Cypriot food though .......

Comment

To stray back on topic for a moment, the late great Ian Dury penned these fine words:

There are jewels in the crown of England's glory
      And every jewel shines a thousand ways

Frankie Howerd, Noël Coward and garden gnomes
      Frankie Vaughan, Kenneth Horne, Sherlock Holmes
      Monty, Biggles and Old King Cole
      In the pink or on the dole
      Oliver Twist and Long John Silver
      Captain Cook and Nelly Dean
      Enid Blyton, Gilbert Harding
      Malcolm Sargeant, Graham Greene (Graham Greene)

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
      Too numerous to mention, but a few
      And every one could tell a different story
      And show old England's glory something new

Nice bit of kipper and Jack the Ripper and Upton Park
      Gracie, Cilla, Maxy Miller, Petula Clark
      Winkles, Woodbines, Walnut Whips
      Vera Lynn and Stafford Cripps
      Lady Chatterley, Muffin the Mule
      Winston Churchill, Robin Hood
      Beatrix Potter, Baden-Powell
      Beecham's powders, Yorkshire pud (Yorkshire pud)

With Billy Bunter, Jane Austen
      Reg Hampton, George Formby
      Billy Fury, Little Titch
      Uncle Mac, Mr. Pastry and all
      Uncle mac, Mr. Patry and all

allright england?
      g’wan england
      oh england

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
      Too numerous to mention, but a few
      And every one could tell a different story
      And show old England's glory something new

Somerset Maugham, Top Of The Form with the Boys' Brigade
      Mortimer Wheeler, Christine Keeler and the Board of Trade
      Henry Cooper, wakey wakey, England's labour
      Standard Vanguard, spotted dick, England's workers
      England's glory

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
        Shame on you, Pinto. Shouldn't you have been tucking into a big plate of bacalhau? That's a bit like when Franco said he quite liked pizza from Pizza Hut. It's ruined all my illusions.
        Bacalhau is great to eat at other people's houses or portuguese restaurants.
        It stinks when in dry cured form, takes ages to prepare for cooking, and the good recipies can be quite involved.

At home we do cook mediterranean style most of the time. My english wife has taken to it and cooks italian and portuguese, although her english stuff is excellent.

No, it won't be the diet that will kill me, although I should drink less wine

Comment

what a lot of tripe

British food can be good but very few people are bothered. Yes the best restaurants in the world are in the UK but only 1% of the population care enough and has enough money to eat in them.

It's not 3 or 4 good regional products like cumberland sausage or cornish party that will make British's regional food compete with Italian, Spanish or French local produce.

The problem for me is the average Brit attitude to eat - it's a function, something that has to be done x times a day, like sleeping or p*ssing, in betwen rounds of horrible lager.

When was the last tiem you got invited at a friend's place and his/her mum cooked you something really nice? That used to happen a lot when I was in NZ, almost never here.

Many US fast food chains (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Taco Bells, KFC) prosper in the UK while I have never seen anything other than McDonalds in Italy or le McDo & Quick in France. I have certainly never ever seen a Burger King, Wendys or KFC in France for example.

On top of that many produce in England are tasteless - take tomatoes for example, even the best ones at Waitrose would not stand comparison with the cheapest one found in any Italian market.

Rebecca in "certainly didn't come here for the food" mood!
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
            I didnt see any Canadian Smoked Beaver.

I've had beaver in France, unfortantly some of it was somking after.....the event, I seem to recall they were good events as well......
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Shame on you, Pinto. Shouldn't you have been tucking into a big plate of bacalhau? That's a bit like when Franco said he quite liked pizza from Pizza Hut. It's ruined all my illusions.
              Oh well, I said they improved a lot, didn't say it's great pizza.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                what a lot of tripe

British food can be good but very few people are bothered. Yes the best restaurants in the world are in the UK but only 1% of the population care enough and has enough money to eat in them.

It's not 3 or 4 good regional products like cumberland sausage or cornish party that will make British's regional food compete with Italian, Spanish or French local produce.

The problem for me is the average Brit attitude to eat - it's a function, something that has to be done x times a day, like sleeping or p*ssing, in betwen rounds of horrible lager.

When was the last tiem you got invited at a friend's place and his/her mum cooked you something really nice? That used to happen a lot when I was in NZ, almost never here.

Many US fast food chains (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Taco Bells, KFC) prosper in the UK while I have never seen anything other than McDonalds in Italy or le McDo & Quick in France. I have certainly never ever seen a Burger King, Wendys or KFC in France for example.

On top of that many produce in England are tasteless - take tomatoes for example, even the best ones at Waitrose would not stand comparison with the cheapest one found in any Italian market.

Beccy darling, we are not discussing the plebs attitude to food, we are discussing the fact that England DOES have quailty food.
                It is unfair to pick such things as tomatoes to compare when we dont have the climate to produce them, but some of the ones I raised in my greenhouse would stand up to any Italian ones I have had.
                It is not 3 or 4 regional products, I was only using examples. If you would allow me the British Islaes and not just England I could have suggested Manx Kippers or Scottish Smoked Salmon, how about Melton Mowbray pies.
                There are a terrific number of quality foods in the UK to be sampled.
                I have eaten in a number of establishment around Europe and have had some tulipe served up in some of the best countries. In recent memory the best and worst meals I have had were both in Verona! The piazza around the ampitheatre doesnt have a decent eating place (you cant call them restaurants FFS) in it, yet 200 yards away we had the most exquisite local menu.

BTW. Almost forgot. Nice pun on the tripe!
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner

I've had beaver in France, unfortantly some of it was somking after.....the event, I seem to recall they were good events as well......
                  LG .. Stafford Cripps ... never heard of them ?

PS NG careful laddie with those beavers, some have been known to bite.

PPS Pinto As the good book instructs A little Wine for thy stomachs sake

Comment

[CUT]

Well said Becca. It takes another foreigner to admit that.

Now, shall we talk about plastic peppers and/or latex aubergines?
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I blame the Government, Schools, younger generation haven't got a clue.
                      Fast food is all they know. Meat comes in neat cling film rapped white plastic trays. Get a real piece of meat out to prepare, maybe even skin a Rabbit and they sh*t themselves. I would be able to survive (at a push) of the land, I doubt millions would be able .......

Comment

Working...
                      X