• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At least in England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    No Franko you are wrong. There is not a greater variety of cheese in France, it is all the same stuff with a different name to it, there are about 4 realy.
    Well France has changed since I left there a couple of years back , there was over 360 varieties of cheese, altough I didnt see any Canadian Smoked Beaver.

But yes of course theres good grub to be had in the UK too.

And my Mother makes the best Broth in Europe.

Vive La Difference ...

PS My favrouite British Cheese is Orkney Smoked , hmmmm !

PPS Did you ever try LG the German Hessen dish Hand Kase mit Music , they say you have to be German to like it , I thought it was delicious ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 3 November 2005, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Spot on, Franco. People fall prey to supermarket marketing. Time and time again it has been shown that the "supermarkets are cheaper" mentality is a myth. Buying fresh, local, tasty food is more of an option now than it has been for years and is frequently cheaper.
      Can't agree more, Lucifer. Just made some fresh pasta from flour, stuffed it with mozzarella and parmasan, few bits of home grown basil and parmasan (replica) from a local farmer.

Few pence, 15 mins to prepare and 3 mins to cook - absolutely fantastic. And it really annoys me when people say "Oh, I only shop at supermarkets for readymade meals because I don't have time..."

Bollocks. You're just lazy.

Once you start on making fresh food you cannot go back to supermarket stuff. The reason? You get to taste the chemicals in the ready meals. And the quality of the chicken. My wife even suffers when we have things with colourings and flavourings. She's never had that with fresh food.

I believe more people are waking up to this. Even now the monopolistic practices of the supermarkets are being contested:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4401096.stm
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

"Economy food in supermarket is so bad that I couldn't even eat it. "

Oh God! how true that is....The supermarket tat is rubbish. What happened to cooking your own food?
        My daughter did cookery at school. First week was apple pie. She was asked to supply a tin of Fruit pie filling and a roll of prepared pastry (Because as they told me later, They dont have preperation time) Where is she learning to cook?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
          Well France has changed since I left there a couple of years back , there was over 360 varieties of cheese, altough I didnt see any Canadian Smoked Beaver.
          No mate, its only 4 realy! The others are just various states of maturity of those 4.

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
          Did you ever try LG the German Hessen dish Hand Kase mit Music , they say you have to be German to like it , I thought it was delicious ...
          Ha HA, had forgoten that one.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
            Can't agree more, Lucifer. Just made some fresh pasta from flour, stuffed it with mozzarella and parmasan, few bits of home grown basil and parmasan (replica) from a local farmer.
            Sounds good to me, HyperD. Will be making a nice salmon en croute for the Lucifers' tea tonight. Got some lovely fresh spinach, some nice Orkney salmon steak, and some left over puff pastry from Tuesday when I made too much for the home made game pie. Should take about 5 minutes to prepare, 30 minutes in the oven... job done.

Just say no to supermarket tulipe.

Comment

Had one of those ready meals from Sainsbury yesterday. Farted all night.

Thought I'd share that with you.

Comment

No mate, its only 4 realy! The others are just various states of maturity of those 4.

Ha HA, had forgoten that one.
                Aye LG

Happy memories of tucking in to Hand Kasse mit Music in a rural Bar in Hessen with a large Heiffer Wiesssen (Dunkel) and a pretty local lass by my side.

As Elvis said in GI Blues, Frankfurt Girls got pretty faces ... ah , is there no way back to these happy days , no refund ?

Anyway , typical trick of the frogs that one, still I had a great time in Paris, Wine Women , Song and erm, Cheese.

Camembert Electrique

Comment

The problem Frank is that it is all the same across Germany.
                  Go into any establishment and you will be offeres schnitzel, Haxn, any number of braten. No variety apart from maybe 1 house speciality.
                  Actually exact same can be said about british food. Sure it has some great dish's. But are they commonly found/eaten? Hardly And even most of the ones commonly eaten are just poor cheap imitations of how they are meant to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
                    Had one of those ready meals from Sainsbury yesterday. Farted all night.

Thought I'd share that with you.
                    Shame on you, Pinto. Shouldn't you have been tucking into a big plate of bacalhau? That's a bit like when Franco said he quite liked pizza from Pizza Hut. It's ruined all my illusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
                      Actually exact same can be said about british food. Sure it has some great dish's. But are they commonly found/eaten? Hardly And even most of the ones commonly eaten are just poor cheap imitations of how they are meant to be made.
                      I disagree, if you go into 6 different English establishments who prepare their own food you will get 6 completely different menues. Unless thay are part of a chain.

I do admit that there are an awful lot of pubs serving boil in the bag or catered crap but I tend to avoid those.

What I was saying here is that in 99% of German establishments you will see the exact same menu. I have lived in various parts of Bavaria and Baden Wuertemberg and have visited a number of places in the surrounding areas.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X