• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roddick vs Federer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Henman was no 4 in the world. How that makes him rubbish I will never understand so don't bother sprouting any rubbish to try and convince me.

If he dropped dead tomorrow most people with any tennis knowledge would regard him as the greatest ever. What he does from here on in is irrelevant, rather like your pontifications on something you obviously dont' understand.

That emphasise my point about dirth of talent. Henman reaching number four in the world says it all. Plonker !!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      IMHO, Federer is one of the greatest players in history. The graceful movements, pinpoint footwork, moments of sheer genius, his humility and charisma. He deserves his success.

I don't think yesterday was one of his finest hours - he looked tired, as if he was having an off-day. His first serve was inconsistent, his one-handed backhand loose. Had he been totally on form he may well have demolished Roddick. As it was it turned into a tit-for-tat epic.

Now if he can beat Roddick (Who may well have a limited range, but was going all-guns to win this, and whose serve would demoralise most) on an off day, then woe-betide his opponents when he feels fully on form.

I think Nadal will continue to be a nemesis of sorts, and Murray will have to significantly up his game to be a contender - but I think they all have many years of success ahead of them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game - and that's what counts. Another successful Wimbledon - looking forward to the US Open.

I enjoyed the game too, but I am lucky in being able to remember players of the ilk of Borg, McEnroe and Laver, and Federer based on his grand slams is 3 times better than Borg, McEnroe or Laver. Laver was not allowed to compete in many grand slams because he was a professional in amateur days, but he still won Wimbledon many times. That just shows how ridiculous stats are.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        That is precisely what I am saying. The guys earlier in Federer's carreer were relative rubbish. Even Henman was regarded as one of the best and he was clearly rubbish. Tennis goes in phases and Federer has been through a phase of dirth of talent IMO. Let's see how well he does from hereon in.
        How do you decide they are/were rubbish? Anyone who's watched Federer play at his best has to admit he's amazing... those defensive lobs against Haas for instance - running back to lob facing the wrong way, it lands right in the opposite corner several times.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That emphasise my point about dirth of talent. Henman reaching number four in the world says it all. Plonker !!
          So the stats are lying and his results don't speak for themselves. When do make the link to a New Lie conspiracy and blame it all on them?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            How do you decide they are/were rubbish? Anyone who's watched Federer play at his best has to admit he's amazing... those defensive lobs against Haas for instance - running back to lob facing the wrong way, it lands right in the opposite corner several times.

This is the problem with you youngsters. You should have watched the great Ilie Nastase who played amazing shots like that throughout his career. Defensive lobs are so rare nowadays, but they were a regular feature in the 60's and 70's. The modern game with its speed of service etc has driven out many of the most entertaining aspects of the game, so much so that you believe that Federer is so special. I could cry !!

Comment

So the stats are lying and his results don't speak for themselves. When do make the link to a New Lie conspiracy and blame it all on them?

So stats don't lie ? Have you never heard of the phrase 'Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics' ? The case rests.......

Comment

So stats don't lie ? Have you never heard of the phrase 'Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics' ? The case rests.......
                I never said stats don't lie. You said they lied with respect to Henman. I disagree. You don't make it to number 4 in the world and reach 6 grand slam semi-finals, win multiple ATP tournaments without being a fantastic player.

Comment

Federer is so special I could cry !!
                  CyberTwunt Praises Federer Scandal!!!
                  CyberTwunt was today quoted as being an out and out supporter of Roger Federer - which came as a huge shock to many people!!!!

CyberTwunt was not approached for clarification so it was assumed that the quote was not misrepresentative in any way!

Tomorrows headline "CyberTwunt - Listens to Someone Elses Opinion!!!!"

Comment

I never said stats don't lie. You said they lied with respect to Henman. I disagree. You don't make it to number 4 in the world and reach 6 grand slam semi-finals, win multiple ATP tournaments without being a fantastic player.

I've only ever said it's my opinion.... but my opinion is based on over 40 years of playing and watching tennis. Some of the best players that I have ever watched never won Wimbledon. George Best, one of the greatest footballers of all time never won a World Cup and never even competed in one. Stats do lie if you have only those to rely on.

Comment

This is the problem with you youngsters. You should have watched the great Ilie Nastase who played amazing shots like that throughout his career. Defensive lobs are so rare nowadays, but they were a regular feature in the 60's and 70's. The modern game with its speed of service etc has driven out many of the most entertaining aspects of the game, so much so that you believe that Federer is so special. I could cry !!
                      That doesn't mean those players were better. Maybe the racquets/balls/courts have changed so much that to be able to hit such shots is harder now.

Having watched Federer and Nadal both play at their best several times, it's hard to see between them anything that is missing, that "former giants" might have had.

I call nostalgia.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X