• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM - Britain faces 100,000 swine flu cases a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What makes it dangerous is it appears to be easily transmitted and humans have little or no immunity.

Now at present it is pretty mild, but if it mutates and the mortality rate goes up, we're looking at a lot of dead bodies.

The very young, elderly, those with underlying medical problems add up to a lot of people.
    For the young, I'd imagine that breast-feeding will become an absolute requirement. None of this "it hurts, I want to feed by bottle" stuff.

For the old - sorry, not a hell of a lot we can do, you're going to slowly drown in your own lung secretions.

For the underlyingly ill - see above.

At least from a pensions perspective it solves the mortality problem!

/wanders off whistling "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life"

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Is it really doom-worthy when it's no more harmful than normal flu?
      Do we get 100k people catching regular flu a day in the middle of summer?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Do we get 100k people catching regular flu a day in the middle of summer?
        Exactly. Everyone is going to get this. And if it combines with a nasty flu variant, we won't be worrying about house prices.

Well I will be, but that's beside the point.

Comment

I don't go outside much since I work from home. Wonder if I can avoid it by staying in...
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I don't go outside much since I work from home. Wonder if I can avoid it by staying in...
            Only if you have no visitors.

Doomed!

Comment

It's a good thing. The more people that get this early version, then the more that will have immunity if the deadly variant arrives at winter-time. A few dead now is a risk worth taking to ensure fewer dead in the future, unless we do really want that cure for unemployment.

Comment

um....pardon my ignorance, but since when did people pay any credence to what a health secretary said??

Bird flu anyone?
                CJD anyone??

Here's an interesting factoid for you to mull over. Tamiflu has a shelf life of 3 years. The world and his dog stocked up on tamiflu for the bird flu scare. That was three years ago so countries have had to restock by buying another few million doses of it to "cope" with piggy flu.

Funny ol' coincidence that, isn't it?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  Evolution - H1N1 will eventually adapt to become tamiflu-resistant.
                  I think I read that it is already showing resistance to Tamiflu. Having three and half year old and year old daughters it is quite worrying...
                  my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                    I think I read that it is already showing resistance to Tamiflu. Having three and half year old and year old daughters it is quite worrying...
                    Indeed. I'm sorry to hear that, and I don't know the first thing about treatment protocols for swine flu, other than to take care when sneezing.

Comment

Ha, ha! All the working contractors will get resistant 'flu and die, and us benched ones will get their gigs!

Did I say that out loud?
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X