• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is working where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live in the Midlands. In 11 years I have had 2 weeks work in commuting distance and aside from a 2 year stretch in Sheffield, all has been in some steenkin place in the South of England.

Comment

Live Edinburgh, work Edinburgh

I haven't worked farther than a 30 minute journey from home for 5 years now.

before that I was 4 hrs a day travel time.

Down a bit in rate in the current climate but can't grumble

Comment

What about currently in the UK, but working in virtual mode in another country.

Not that it applies to me as I'm sick and not doing any work whatsoever, or earning any money.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Lived and "worked" in the Midlands for 16 years (is that North or South for the purpose of the poll - I'm guessing the former?) and always within a 45 minute commute.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            Lived and "worked" in the Midlands for 16 years (is that North or South for the purpose of the poll - I'm guessing the former?) and always within a 45 minute commute.
            Consider yourself a Northerner. If you were a Southerner you would not have known the midlands exist to even ask the question.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Consider yourself a Northerner. If you were a Southerner you would not have known the midlands exist to even ask the question.

I have voted accordingly.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Live in the Midlands work in the North East, closest gig I've had in the last 5 years was an hours drive.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

4 years in Madrid - 15 mins commute

2 years in Sheffield - 10 mins walk

3 years in Manchester - 3 min walk

I dont *think* I can get my commute down any lower than that
                  The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

I live in the NW and have been lucky enough to be in contract within 40 mins of home for a good few years now. I don't think I could do the working away Mon-Fri thing as I have a young family. I did it for a few years during my single Permy days and grew to hate it eventually.

I'm holding out for something local for the moment. Just this week things seem to be opening up. Probably as we're into the 2nd half year and budgets are becoming available.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Not voted. I'm on the bench. Next to AndyW.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X