• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of an era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Kodak have a slide show of some of what they regard as the best Kodachrome shots here
    Some nice pictures but you just cannot appreciate them on a screen. It's a browsing medium, not conducive to real appreciation. You will see more in a printed photograph because you will look more; and there will be more in there for you to see (and that's not even to mention a projected slide).

I don't know why, but there is stuff in a picture at a finer level than the nominal resolution. That's why a well-made Medium Format photo looks so stunning: it is not simply the resolution, it is the amount of colour information held in there. And that is just what Kodachrome excelled at.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bollocks. Half of my portfolio shots - and all my favourite - were shot on Kodachrome. Gutted.

Knew it would happen one day, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bollocks. Half of my portfolio shots - and all my favourite - were shot on Kodachrome. Gutted.

Knew it would happen one day, but still.

If you have a film body, then stock up. It's still on sale and will still be processed.

Get the 'Professional' version (PKR25/PKR64) from a pro outlet, as it will keep longer (pro PKR and non-pro KR are the same film except Kodak don't let PKR sit around in bulk for too long).

Pro Kodachrome that has been sitting around for a while just gets bumped down to consumer-grade KR. It's exactly the same stuff.

Bung it in the fridge (not freezer!) in an airtight tupperware box and it's good for 2-3 years for most practical applications.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Some nice pictures but you just cannot appreciate them on a screen. It's a browsing medium, not conducive to real appreciation. You will see more in a printed photograph because you will look more; and there will be more in there for you to see (and that's not even to mention a projected slide).

I don't know why, but there is stuff in a picture at a finer level than the nominal resolution. That's why a well-made Medium Format photo looks so stunning: it is not simply the resolution, it is the amount of colour information held in there. And that is just what Kodachrome excelled at.
          Agree. Almost everything looks good, or at least passable, on a computer screen.

Imagine that first shot in the Slideshow gallery, printed up on Cibachrome Super Glossy about 5' wide, in a black gallery mount. Now that's a colour photograph!

Agree it's about the amount of 'visual information' (not the same as pixels or sharpness). Hard to explain scientifically, but you know it when you see it.

I have an old Rolleiflex TLR and I am now shopping for some KR for it while stocks last. The D200 can gather dust for a while.
          Last edited by bogeyman; 23 June 2009, 16:40. Reason: sp. Rolleiflex

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X