• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bella Roma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Getting in and out was a bit of a nightmare anyway - those guards are sooooo obnoxious. I reckon if they decided it was closing time at 11 - they'd just shut up shop.
    I'd be arsey if I were dressed so gay

http://image18.webshots.com/18/7/20/...0pgvlzN_ph.jpg
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

True, God love them!
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

Heading there in August by the look of it due to school holidays. A pita I do realise but can't be avoided sadly.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Read up on their history. Hard Bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Heading there in August by the look of it due to school holidays. A pita I do realise but can't be avoided sadly.
            Make sure the kids have lots of water - it's be super hot!
            Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Read up on their history. Hard Bastards!
              Yeah but poor fashion choices
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

I hope you have a great time, it will be busy and pretty hot, but there's so much to see, I'm really glad I went and would happily return.

Comment

You should be happy about this. Most locals are on holiday in August so it's much nicer and enjoyable. In general the situation got better in the last years when they built a lot of malls in the outskirts releasing some pressure in the city center. I would recommond to visit often Trastevere and Testaccio to get a better feeling of what's one of the oldest part of town but somehow less touristy. Also go to Colle Gianicolo to have the best panorama of the town and the most romantic venue. And just get lost in the small streets without watching at the map every 5 minutes, just walk and enjoy... you could do this for all your life and everyday you can discover somethig new...
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

On top of all the usual tourist bits (of which there are a multitude), a few things made an impact on me:

1. looking down and seeing that even drain covers were marked SPQR. I was immensely tickled by that.

2. being slightly lost with the family, at the bottom of a flight of steps. I said I'd go up the steps and see if I could find out where we were. Sprinted up the steps. Then shouted down, Blood Hell, this is the Mons bloody Capitolinus!

The sense of just where you are standing is overwhelming: this little flight of steps in the middle of town led up to the centre of the Roman Empire.

3. Most moving for me was the quiet solidity of the Pantheon. Elegantly immovable in its simple geometric shapes, it has stood as a place of worship unbroken for 2 millennia. The modern houses and cafes around it only emphasize its eternal nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                      You should be happy about this. Most locals are on holiday in August so it's much nicer and enjoyable. In general the situation got better in the last years when they built a lot of malls in the outskirts releasing some pressure in the city center. I would recommond to visit often Trastevere and Testaccio to get a better feeling of what's one of the oldest part of town but somehow less touristy. Also go to Colle Gianicolo to have the best panorama of the town and the most romantic venue. And just get lost in the small streets without watching at the map every 5 minutes, just walk and enjoy... you could do this for all your life and everyday you can discover somethig new...
                      I appreciate the fact that the locals bugger off to the country/coast in August. It's more a pain due to the heat and the prices. Evrything is more expensive during the school holidays.

Any suggestions on hotels? Toss up between somewhere slap in the middle and paying more or paying less and staying a bit further out and using the Metro.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X