• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So how's the economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There will be 60000+ repossessions a year for the next 3 years (minimum).

Obviously some people are having a pretty tulipty time of it.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm coping, but only by relocating and accepting tulip rates and short term bollocks.

Never known it so bad TBH - in IT I've only ever known contracting in the North to be quite lucrative (not London, but much less stress). The banks seemed to have offered most of the opportunities post-industrial decline.

Now they have effectively gone under and outsourced any leftovers, it is doooom all the way.

Got my doom hat on today and I have to say that I can't see it picking up now that the outsourcing model has become the norm.

Comment

The economy is healthy enough to afford £5m on Zimbabwe.

Well done Mr Brown, money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
          The economy is healthy enough to afford £5m on Zimbabwe.

Well done Mr Brown, money well spent.

5 x new Rolls Royce Phantoms
          A new presidential palace
          Upgrade on private jet

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            No, but the government seems to be selling it all off to John Pierre Froggy.
            True and he likes to keep all the good stuff to himself. But there must be work in the UK on the fuel route and in nuclear clean up for at least 100 years for us. So despite the work being as miserable as sin compared to petroc-chemicals work, then at least it pays the bills. The rates always seen lower in nuclear work too conmpared to petro-chem work. I think that's because it's usually longer term gigs. It'll keep me from starving anyhow.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

My view has not altered over the past year - that the Credit Crunch was the result of Market Manipulation and a way of ensuring that Bush's Wall St Banking friends could raid the US Governments coffers of Billions of Dollars - all this at at the time when its was clear it was curtains for the Republicans and that they would lose the election - so called credit crunch - or not.

In any crises - ask the question Qui Bonum ? (who profits ?) to find the source of the crises.

Futhermore if the UK economy was in real danger - projects such as Trident and the ID cards would have been on the scrapheap months ago.

MM writes :

There will be 60000+ repossessions a year for the next 3 years (minimum).

Obviously some people are having a pretty tulipty time of it.[/I

Again apply the formula - Qui Bonum - to see who profits from these pepople's misfortune.

I'm coping, but only by relocating and accepting tulip rates and short term bollocks.

Again - Qui Bomum ?
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 22 June 2009, 12:07.

Comment

I'd buy that Alfred.

What smells in all of this is that, despite the housing market being in 'meltdown', bankers are still getting bonuses, new banking bosses of part-nationalised banks are getting nearly £10 million packages.

And houses in my area are no cheaper than they were 18 months ago.

We're all being dry-bummed I reckon.

Comment

I blame Thatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                    I'd buy that Alfred.

What smells in all of this is that, despite the housing market being in 'meltdown', bankers are still getting bonuses, new banking bosses of part-nationalised banks are getting nearly £10 million packages.

And houses in my area are no cheaper than they were 18 months ago.

We're all being dry-bummed I reckon.
                    Looked at rightmove last night. Anything decent is around 500-600K min. in the south east. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
                      Looked at rightmove last night. Anything decent is around 500-600K min. in the south east. Ridiculous.
                      Agreed. I'm looking at the moment and finding something that's remotely "good" is proving to be a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                      X