• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

James May's flight to 'edge of space'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    10 knots between stall & max speed...

Gosh.

That must be fun.
    Jeez - that's an almost zero margin

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It's just that much fun. You don't want jizz loating about in zero-G...
      He wasn't in zero-G.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        That used to be the gig at aircrew selection for the RAF that if the length from your hip to your knee was too long you wouldn't be accepted for pilot training because if you had to bang out you'd leave the bit below your knees behind ... admittedly as a stand-up once pointed out "stings a bit, but less so than staying with it".
        My ex missed out on RAF pilot selection because her arms were 2cm too short.

She was pretty gutted as they don't start measuring you until you're almost in.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          Concordes' fuselage is pressurised - the U2 cockpit isn't
          Yes I know. But the point I was making is James May was making a big fuss about all the training and equipment required to go to 70,000 feet, whereas (a couple of years ago anyway) he could have just bought a ticket for Concorde and been sipping champagne whilst flying almost as high.

That Burt Rutan designed X-prize winning craft made it to 112Km (364,400 feet). Now that's high ;-)
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Yes I know. But the point I was making is James May was making a big fuss about all the training and equipment required to go to 70,000 feet, whereas (a couple of years ago anyway) he could have just bought a ticket for Concorde and been sipping champagne whilst flying almost as high.

That Burt Rutan designed X-prize winning craft made it to 112Km (364,400 feet). Now that's high ;-)
            WHS

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I think it's a *lot* harder to go to the extra 10000 feet.

But you're right, you could see the curvature of the earth from Concorde's cruising height.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

A fantastic programme.

I think Girly secretly like it too!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  A fantastic programme.

I think Girly secretly like it too!
                  Girly is too busy telling everybody about your make up and her shaving habits in the FFS thread to comment on that program.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    Girly is too busy telling everybody about your make up and her shaving habits in the FFS thread to comment on that program.
                    Par for the course!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                      Squeeler

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Par for the course!
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X