• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freesat.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone confirm a rumour I heard.
    When HD channels become available over freeview we will all need new HD tvs and freeview boxes as the HD chip set built in to current models will not be compatible with the HD broadcast protocol.

I will be pissed off if I have to change all my kit.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Isn't that A Very Cunning Plan to get everyone to replace their brand new set top boxes and HD TVs after 6 months or so?
      That is what I thought. Odd that they are not making this common knowledge. They are pushing the digital takeover and persuading people to get kitted up right now before the digital switch over. They are not telling people that they will have to do it all again if they want HD over freeview.
      I only learned this through a PS3 forum as I use playTV and wanted to know if I would be able to just tap into the new HD channels when they come available.

Something stinks here.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Why would you need a new TV to watch Freeview HD? Wouldn't the new Freeview HD boxes have standard HDMI outputs?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Why would you need a new TV to watch Freeview HD? Wouldn't the new Freeview HD boxes have standard HDMI outputs?
          Yes, but you'd need a "new" set top box.

If you wanted it in-built (as Freeview is built in to all TVs) Freeview HD, you'd need a new telly.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Isn't that A Very Cunning Plan to get everyone to replace their brand new set top boxes and HD TVs after 6 months or so?
            While in Dixons, don't forget to pick up replacement radios / tuners / car-radios / etc. to replace all your analogue radios. They're all going in the bin fairly soon too.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Yes.

For the super "CD quality" DAB...

CD quality my arse... not to mention the slightly increased power consumption.
              I love my DAB. CD quality it is not, but it's well good enough for what I want.

Given that many people are listening to crap MP3's, I don't think many will worry about the difference.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Can anyone confirm a rumour I heard.
                When HD channels become available over freeview we will all need new HD tvs and freeview boxes as the HD chip set built in to current models will not be compatible with the HD broadcast protocol.

I will be pissed off if I have to change all my kit.
                A good reason not to buy everything in one box.

Everybody will be upgrading their TVs anyway when the truth about "HD ready" starts to become public knowledge. .
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Yes, but you'd need a "new" set top box.

If you wanted it in-built (as Freeview is built in to all TVs) Freeview HD, you'd need a new telly.
                  Or you could be sensible and keep your TV, turn off the built-in freeview and buy a new set-top box. Not perfect, but MUCH cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    A good reason not to buy everything in one box.

Everybody will be upgrading their TVs anyway when the truth about "HD ready" starts to become public knowledge. .
                    Not really. Many people choose to buy 1080i rather than 1080p because it's only on blu-ray you can take advantage of it. Many claim normal TV is better on 1080i TVs, and nobody broadcasts full-HD transmissions (and probably won't anytime soon).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Or you could be sensible and keep your TV, turn off the built-in freeview and buy a new set-top box. Not perfect, but MUCH cheaper.
                      The issue still remains that they are still selling these TVs on the grounds that you will be able to watch HD when it comes online. This is a blatant con.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                      X