• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AF447 broke up mid-air

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    If it was flying too slow through a storm, then it could easily break up. The airframe can't cope with the load put on it by the changes in airpressure caused by the storm.
    Call me old-fashioned but didn't engineering for such eventualities used to be popular? Surely if too slow it would stall before breaking up.

Disclaimer - I know bugger all about aircraft
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Actually - thinking about it - when the shuttle Columbia broke up didn't it send out a series of failure notices for the various systems one after another a la AF447?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Call me old-fashioned but didn't engineering for such eventualities used to be popular? Surely if too slow it would stall before breaking up.

Well I think you can worry...

http://airportwatch.org.uk/news/deta...AIRPORTWATCH=Y

Comment

Aircraft are designed to cope with turbulence and have a very big safety margin put in as well.

However there is a trade-off between strength and weight. If the plane was flying slowly, then it could have a large downward pressure on the front and simultaneously a large upward pressure on the back. The airframe couldn't cope with such a large difference and would breakup.
          Originally posted by cailin maith
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Been on an Airbus when it was landing in bad weather - it shook really violently and you could see the plane body flexing all ways (I was sat at the rear).

Scary - maybe they are just a bit fragile?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              Been on an Airbus when it was landing in bad weather - it shook really violently and you could see the plane body flexing all ways (I was sat at the rear).

Scary - maybe they are just a bit fragile?
              True dat, but isn't there a picture on youtube somewhere of a Lufthansa airbus landing in a crosswind and side slipping the landing?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                Actually - thinking about it - when the shuttle Columbia broke up didn't it send out a series of failure notices for the various systems one after another a la AF447?
                I believe you are correct although from the pilot point of view it doesn't really help if you can't do anything about it.
                I know its morbid in this instance but I find why things went wrong really interesting.

IGMC if you don't agree
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                  Aircraft are designed to cope with turbulence and have a very big safety margin put in as well.

However there is a trade-off between strength and weight. If the plane was flying slowly, then it could have a large downward pressure on the front and simultaneously a large upward pressure on the back. The airframe couldn't cope with such a large difference and would breakup.
                  So why doesn't this happen all the time? Or do they normally just avoid such storms, and if so why didn't they avoid this one?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I believe you are correct although from the pilot point of view it doesn't really help if you can't do anything about it.
                    I know its morbid in this instance but I find why things went wrong really interesting.

IGMC if you don't agree
                    No don't get your coat - I think it's a male, testosterone thing to be interested in disasters. I think the only reason I watch motorsport is for the crashes, which is why F1s got so boring of late!

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
                      A bit sketchy but
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X