• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you do that?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the alternative is £50 a week dole indefinitely or one month without pay and then several grand the following month I'd work for nothing. However I would be going for lots of job interviews.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I don't know what it is Cyberman, but CUK just seems like one long bitch fight after another these days.

Many threads degenerate in to personal slanging matches, and some new threads start up with the explicit intention of restarting previous rivalries.

It's all getting a bit tedious and wearisome, I find.

I think the only way to resolve this is to have our very own "CUK Fight Club" somewhere in the Docklands, where repressed Unix geeks can get to greps with C# programmers and .Netters for the coverted prize of well 'ard geek of the year.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        I don't know what it is Cyberman, but CUK just seems like one long bitch fight after another these days.

Many threads degenerate in to personal slanging matches, and some new threads start up with the explicit intention of restarting previous rivalries.

It's all getting a bit tedious and wearisome, I find.

I think the only way to resolve this is to have our very own "CUK Fight Club" somewhere in the Docklands, where repressed Unix geeks can get to greps with C# programmers and .Netters for the coverted prize of well 'ard geek of the year.

I think it's basically that so many computer geeks are inadequate and thus cannot stomach losing a discussion.

Comment

Cyberman wrote : I think it's basically that so many computer geeks are inadequate and thus cannot stomach losing a discussion
          Could be.

After all, when you are battling with the inanimate all day long, you know that emotions are not part of the battle, so to speak.

Either you have fixed the computer / program, or you haven't. The computer in and of itself is unemotional.

Human interaction on the other hand is far from predictable and quite often frustrating.

That's what makes humans wonderful in one sense and yet perplexing in another.

Rightly or wrongly, more emphasis is placed upon the management of human relationships above that of understanding and manipulating the inanimate.

Salaries in many professions reflect this credo and society as a whole tends to look down upon those who work magic with the inanimate.

Yet both are valid and there is no need for artificial disparity.

I sometimes feel that the dismissiveness of the IT industry and the people who work within is borne out of a lack of understanding of how we work, and a fear that we are incapable of interaction with humans which makes us somehow "aloof" from others.

In turn, this is used to demean us as somehow less than worthy than other roles within an organisation.

Eg, the Sales Division earn the silly money yet the techies are expected to survive on a much reduced slice of the pie.

The Sales folks will say "without us, there would be no customers to buy the products" yet the opposite is also true, because techies are needed to design the products in the first place.

However, for whatever reason, the Sales folks get the lion's share of the rewards. If that isn't inequality, I don't know what is.

Still, musn't grumble eh ?
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
          X