• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chipped tile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You need to clean up the back of the chipped section to get rid of any adhesive there, and carefully scrape out at much as you can from the hole it came from. Then use tile adhesive to replace it. You'll still see the crack but anyone who didnt know it was there would have to look hard to find it.

Easiest way of cleaning up the back of the chipped piece is to put a piece of fine sand paper on a flat surface and rub the chipped piece along it.
    Dave, there is no old adhesive because the chipped piece is less than the full depth of the tile. But thanks.

oraclesmith, that's what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

Superglue would not work, because as I said the surfaces are absorbent.
      I reckon it would, tiles are generally quite dense and i assume you've got 2 smooth surfaces. Thats what i'd try first.
      Last edited by Durbs; 15 June 2009, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        You need to clean up the back of the chipped section to get rid of any adhesive there
        From the description, I'd assumed the chipped bit is a sliver from the glazed front of the tile, so it's not a cracked tile as such - just a tiny chip which needs glueing back on.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith View Post
          From the description, I'd assumed the chipped bit is a sliver from the glazed front of the tile, so it's not a cracked tile as such - just a tiny chip which needs glueing back on.
          Cornflakes. They weld themselves onto ceramic bowls well enough.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Can I suggest that you put a similar crack on the other side of the wall and claim a new wall under the subsidence clause of your building insurance.

Im surprised that no one has offered a solution as simple as this so far on this thread.

Failing that, use Unibond mixed with either tile grout coloring or Tipex to get the right shade to match the tiles. Builders Unibond dries clear and just leaves the colorant showing.

PZZ

Comment

1) Use 'kin SuperGlue as has been mentioned............

If it falls off
              2) Use 'kin SuperGlue again..... the "pourousness" will be less on the second application as the initial dose will have "clogged up" the sponge like holes in the ceramic so it'll work better............

My other suggestion involves removing the offending tile, buying a Ceramic Kiln, casting a single tile the exact size of the one you removed, leaving to cool and then glazing with the exact shade of Ceramic glaze on a 2nd firing, then after allowing to anneal and cool sticking it in place using normal Tile Adhesive.............. which is silly!

Comment

I'd simply use superglue, but applied in two stages.

Stage 1 will seal the porous nature of the tile surfaces, apply a very thin layer and leave to dry for a few days.
                Stage 2 apply a similarly thin layer and bond the two bits together carefully.

It will never look unbroken, but using a thicker glue than superglue will make the repair stand proud and look awful.

The only other approach I can think of is to do some deft work with a Dremmel and grinding bit on the base tile to make room to apply Araldite so that the glazed surfaces sit exactly level. This would be very risky, take plenty of skill and not a little luck.

Comment

I usually keep a few spare tiles.

Comment

Actually, my wife just reminded me that something similar happened in a shop we used to run.

Anyway, we stuck the tile fragment back on with nail varnish of a similar colour. Dries almost instantly and is designed for adhering to porous nails.

The stuff we used was made by Maybellene if it helps.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                      The stuff we used was made by Maybellene if it helps.
                      Maybe its Maybellene

Nyaaargh, i've got that going round my head now.

Comment

Working...
                      X