• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smoking ban cop-out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bollocks to that - I'm happy to stand up for my convictions. I was a smoker. living in NYC when the ban was introduced there. After a month of grumbling I got used to it. After 6 monhts I tried qutting again and it was easy (Quit rates in cities with smoke free pubs are something like +15% up).

Once you get over the initial, kneeejerk, someone took my liberties nonsense you realise it is no big thing. Want a comparison - smoking in offices, can you imagine going back to that? All the arguements against bar staff getting other jobs equally apply to offices.

And civil liberties don't extend to your right to expose someone else to a serious health risk, especially one that can be eradicated so easy at such a little inconvenience in the long run.

BTW LG I don't drive a car, no point in Londregs.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      "However, the Vintners' Federation of Ireland (VFI) said pubs, particularly in rural areas, had been hit with turnover down on average between 20 and 30%."
      What the same lot who have been against it al along? Funny how in NYC and California profits have gone up ...

Here's a counter view, from Cancer research ...

Je says: “Tobacco companies are at pains to show that smoking bans in bars and restaurants have a negative impact on business and lead to drops in sales and job losses. They frequently use anecdotal facts and speculative projections to make these claims.

“But rigorous analysis of studies from Ireland, New York, British Columbia and other places shows that smokefree legislation does not damage profits. In some places it could even have a positive economic effect.

Mr Joossens only analysed research that met stringent quality criteria and had been funded by a source with no links to the tobacco industry. He also examined economic trends prior to the introduction of bans.

“The main argument used by the tobacco industry is that drinking and smoking go together. If that is the case one would have expected a ban on smoking in pubs to affect Ireland, as the Irish drink more in bars than any other European nationality”, Mr Joossens adds.

“But the evidence shows that the ban did not affect Ireland’s bar economy. In fact, using objective measures such as till receipts and peer reviewed research, it is clear that going smokefree has not damaged the economy of any country examined so far.."

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        What the same lot who have been against it al along? Funny how in NYC and California profits have gone up ...

Here's a counter view, from Cancer research ...
        Ha Ha Ha HA. From one unbiased view to another!
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Ha Ha Ha HA. From one unbiased view to another!
          That was kind of my point LG. Glad to see the subtle art of sarcasm is alive and well

Comment

Snaw, the problem is that for the moment you are allowed to go on to the street to have your ciggie, but after a while, I am sure they'll ban that too
            Quite right too,

However I do have sympathy for smokers. I think they should set up a smokers reservation in the UK, Scotland for example. All that highland wind should blow the smoke away.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

ooer

Originally posted by ratewhore
              ah well, try not to get too worked up about it eh? Go on - have a fag, it'll calm you down...

Have they made that legal now?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                They do have a choice, no one forces any one to do a job unless they are working outside of the law. I challenge you to go up to barworkers and suggest that they have been forced to do the job. I think that they will tell you that whether they like the job or not they have chosen to do it and that you should get your commie little arse back to North Korea
                It's like those namby pamby rules on breathing asbestos dust - there's no proof that everyone who breathes it will definitely die and no-one has to do the job. It's state control gone mad!

Comment

RighttoPuff

Originally posted by AtW
                  Health and safety of workers should be enforced strictly in all jobs because if its not then unscrupulous businessmen will ruin people's life seeking for quick unfair profit - bar jobs are not the ones people choose if they have better choice.
                  Besides this health and safety farce as being a reason to bar smoking from public places doesn't stack up. What about workers who are employed in private clubs that are exempt from this new legislation? Do they have iron lungs immune from lung cancer? It makes no sense at all to ban from public places that serve food, but still allow private member clubs that also provide food to allow smoking. In fact, the whole idea of banning smoking, particularly on the grounds stated, is ludicrous.

This legislation is just another attempt at government control freakery, prejudice and nannying.

Comment

Cant be bothered looking again, but the most sensible suggestion I have heard in this whole debate was the idea of a smoking licence.

Ban smoking everywhere except on licenced premises.
                    There could be all sorts of legislation requirements to gain such a licence.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Last year I had to go to casualty and treatment was delayed for over 5 hours whilst I was waiting for the drunks and their victims to be stitched back up. It is extremely rare that a fag causes anyone let alone innocent people any harm.

I say ban alcohol, I don't drink but the streets are full of violent drunks that disturb me when I'm out there having a fag.

I think you are all falling for Labour's typical "burying the news game", whilst the public are all talking non-smoking they are destroying the country.

Comment

Working...
                      X