• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you voted yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the following forbidden party names?

They're all Cvnts!

Free money? Place X here.

Test your pencil by marking X here.

Comment

I'll be voting on Sunday, who for? I'll only know once I get in the booth and the magic touch wibbles down my arms to my fingers
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Surely prohibiting a party from being named "None of the above" and having an option to vote for no party are not the same thing.
        They are sort of: the system does not have such an option, so some people wanted to offer it by means of a trick. This was prevented in order to stop voters from registering this opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          They are sort of: the system does not have such an option, so some people wanted to offer it by means of a trick. This was prevented in order to stop voters from registering this opinion.
          I agree there should be some method of actively registering your disgust with what's on offer but there needs to be something to stop me registering a party entitled "Please mark this box if you do NOT want to hear about our special offers"; therefore winning by a landslide, installing AndyW as minister for ladyboys and making AtW chancellor.

Comment

Go green go.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              I agree there should be some method of actively registering your disgust with what's on offer but there needs to be something to stop me registering a party entitled "Please mark this box if you do NOT want to hear about our special offers"; therefore winning by a landslide, installing AndyW as minister for ladyboys and making AtW chancellor.
              You mean that a majority might vote NOTA (None of the above), and they must not be allowed to do that, so the answer is not to fix the parties that people don't want, but to prevent them expressing their real opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Come on, vote BNP.
                They wont get enough power to do any real damage, but think of the entertainment they will provide with a platform in Europe and all the fuss the other home parties will make.
                It might make the current members at Westminster realise just how little they are regarded, but I doubt it.
                Think of the expenses - erm cash - funneled directly into BNP coffers. And I'd rather have an effective member than a goon.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

While it's not quite the same as a vote for "None of the above", there is nothing to stop you from spoiling your ballot paper.

Comment

The naming of a party NOTA is wrong on the grounds that someone reading the ballot paper may tick that box believing that there is a NOTA option when what they are really doing is voting for a party that may be elected. Thus, that name is not allowed.
                    It is perfectly allowable to create a party which states that a vote for it is a vote of no confidence in any of the other parties, but where does said party go once elected.

If there were a "real" NOTA option on the ballot then we have to contend with what happens if NOTA wins? Who then occupies the seat or how do we go about re running?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      You mean that a majority might vote NOTA (None of the above), and they must not be allowed to do that, so the answer is not to fix the parties that people don't want, but to prevent them expressing their real opinion?
                      I was agreeing with you that there should be a way of expressing a real opinion but was disagreeing that creating a political party that claims to represent that is the best way to do it.

My only point was that you quoted legislation that is there to prevent the registration of a party with a misleading name and I think it's correct to have that in place.

There needs to be a way of actively saying "not acceptable" but it should not be a political party.

Comment

Working...
                      X