• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripe for the scrapheap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I think the point of this scheme has been to get car workers back working on the production line (and it's worked locally - both BMW in Cowley and Honda in Swindon have restarted their production lines). Forget any crap about the environment
    The way to get car workers back to the production lines is really quite simple; car manufacturers need to tool up to make stuff people want to buy. FIAT are still doing OK in Europe with the 500 and the Alfa Mito; they’re small and efficient and appeal to women (especially Mrs Tester). GM died because they made too many cars in the US that nobody wanted and in Europe they made too many bland cars that couldn’t bring in a good margin. Again we come back to the most basic principle of business; find out and keep monitoring what people want to buy, and sell it to them.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      The way to get car workers back to the production lines is really quite simple; car manufacturers need to tool up to make stuff people want to buy. FIAT are still doing OK in Europe with the 500 and the Alfa Mito; they’re small and efficient and appeal to women (especially Mrs Tester). GM died because they made too many cars in the US that nobody wanted and in Europe they made too many bland cars that couldn’t bring in a good margin. Again we come back to the most basic principle of business; find out and keep monitoring what people want to buy, and sell it to them.
      I think you'll find that both Honda and BMW (with the mini) were selling stuff people wanted to buy prior to the crash.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I don't think getting 2-4k off a new car for this 10 year old car I found on Autotrader is that stupid...

1998 DAEWOO LANOS 1.6 SX 5dr Hatchback
        Price: £220 ono
        Features:
        100,000 milesManualSilverPetrolHatchback1598 cc
        Full Description:
        Glossary of Terms
        5 Door Hatchback, Silver, Petrol, Manual. £220 ono.
        The catch is that you have to have owned the car for at least 12 months, ie your name on the log book, before you trade it in. It also has to have a currrent MoT.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Bollux. There's huge overcapacity in the car industry. The large firms were struggling even in the good times (e.g. Ford which makes good cars).
          So some car companies MUST go bust for a healthy industry.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The catch is that you have to have owned the car for at least 12 months, ie your name on the log book, before you trade it in. It also has to have a currrent MoT.
            I realise that, but if I owned a 10 year old Daewoo and fancied a new one, I'd be a mug to not use the scheme.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I am on the scrap heap

The family car is ok Its me thats on the scrap heap due to out sourcing.

Comment

We could do with more reusable cars. Engines for example should be based on an extensible engine pattern that inherits from a simple abstract base engine. That way we could keep an old car and just change the engine. Ditto for the other car parts and functions. We could design cars better and faster which would be more reliable and maintainable. In theory.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  The majority of the trade-ins has keen at the really low end of the market.

This is just a way of sending uK taxpayers money to prop-up Korean car manufacturers such as Kia, Hyundai, Perodua, SsangYong and the like.
                  Not sure how you got to that. Apart from the fact that Ssang Yong is Chinese and Perodua is Malay, aren't people more likely to trade in these older cheaper cars? The in laws have just traded in a Daewoo for a new Citroen
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    We could do with more reusable cars. Engines for example should be based on an extensible engine pattern that inherits from a simple abstract base engine. That way we could keep an old car and just change the engine. Ditto for the other car parts and functions. We could design cars better and faster which would be more reliable and maintainable. In theory.
                    Wasn't the Morris Minor one of the few cars that was designed to be repaired? Still see a few about today.

Quite a few products could benefit from a modular design but it goes against the principle of consumerism, everything in modern life is pitched in such a way that the average person needs to keep working in order to keep the economy going, we can’t have people stepping out of line and retiring early can we.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Quite a few products could benefit from a modular design but it goes against the principle of consumerism, everything in modern life is pitched in such a way that the average person needs to keep working in order to keep the economy going, we can’t have people stepping out of line and retiring early can we.

Life's about film stars and less about mothers
                      It's all about fast cars and cussing each other
                      But it doesn't matter cause I'm packing plastic
                      And that's what makes my life so ******* fantastic

And I am a weapon of massive consumption
                      And it's not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function
                      I'll look at The Sun and I'll look in The Mirror
                      I'm on the right track yeah we're onto a winner

Comment

Working...
                      X