• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Science - Alien abductees prone to false memories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science - Alien abductees prone to false memories

Do you have memories of being abducted by aliens and whisked away in a spaceship? - well actually no. I was abducted by a hoard of aliens last Saturday night, but unfortunately can't remember a thing. Must have been a good party.

http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle....log/GetContent
    Several thousand people worldwide claim to have had such close encounters, researchers say. But in a new study, a psychology expert at Goldsmiths College says these experiences are proof of the frailty of the human memory, rather than evidence of life in other galaxies.

"Maybe what we're dealing with here is false memories, and not that people are actually being abducted and taken aboard spaceships," says Professor Chris French, who surveyed 19 self-proclaimed alien abductees.

Several of the abductees reported being snatched from their beds or cars by alien creatures around four feet high, with spindly arms and legs and oversized heads, French said.

Some men said they were subjected to painful medical examinations by the aliens, during which their sperm was extracted.

Many of the alien experiences could be explained by sleep paralysis, a condition in which a person is awake and aware of the surroundings but is unable to move.

Sleep paralysis often leads to hallucinations and 40 percent of people experience the state at least once in their lives, French said.

A rich imagination was also at play. Several of the alien abductees were already prone to fantasizing and also claimed to have seen ghosts and have psychic or healing abilities.

"People have very rich fantasy lives," said French, who is due to present his findings at a public seminar at the Science Museum on Wednesday.

"So much so that they often mix up what's happening in their heads with what is going on in the real world."
    Er, politicians often qualify for this. You don't need to be an alien abductee to experience this

Would not you have preferred it to be aliens who anal-probed you?

Comment

Sorry AtW - don't do that sort of party.

Comment

It has always amused me that the vast majority of alien abductee stories begin with "I was asleep in bed when...". So, there's no possibility that you were dreaming then?

99% of people abducted by aliens are fat, sweaty Americans. Coincidence or conspiracy?

Comment

Its just that the Americans have the most advanced civilisation on the planet. So, naturally Aliens wouldn't waste their time with the rest of us.

Be thankfull for small mercies

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            99% of people abducted by aliens are fat, sweaty Americans. Coincidence or conspiracy?
            You don't know the half of it.

Comment

Do I know you? You look familiar to me. Then again you Gorns all look alike to us Jagaroth.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaroth of the Jagaroth
                You don't know the half of it.
                You're all part of my cunning plan for universal domination anyway.

Comment

Come on down to castle Saburac an we'll see who's hard
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X