• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Companies to cull costly contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies to cull costly contractors

This is a good article, very interesting but a long way away from reality

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002354.html

I'm a contractor and my Boss was telling me only the other day how it finds it hard to gets permanent staff to doing anything new without them telling him they need training. I also said they often refuse to work late or doing anything that they think they might not be able to do. But with contractors he just tells them what to do and then it gets done and done well.

Contractors have a very different personality to permanent staff, By the very nature of the fact they are a contractor they are more confident and charismatic than their permanent equivalents. Remove contactors and you remove a very important part of your team that permanent staff can't fill and wont want to fill.

Perhaps the real reason why contractors will do overtime when asked is that they are renumerated for that, quite rightly permies dont want to work more hours when they recieve only Kudos rahter than Quids !

Comment

Send contractors back where they came from!
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Not sure whether any conclusions can be drawn from that report, other than BT living in cloud cuckoo land. Seemingly they'll offshore loads of work and up-skill the UK based staff the offshore exercise frees up. Very nice idea, BT will be left with a skilled but relatively inexperienced IT workforce.

And they'll bugger off when they have their training/qualifications.

And as far as the demand for permies goes, isn't it supply that will drive this? If the demand can't be satisfied then what will happen?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Considering BTs history would you want to be a permie with them?

It was BT who started the Friday to Monday fetish, they have now off shored a huge percentage. Whatever next?
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Stop them from calling themselves 'British'. They arent anymore.

'Indian Telecom'. Isnt it.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I did a short contract for BT - or Mahindra BT as they a now called. What a bunch of tossers.

Scummy offshoring ******* the lot of them.

Comment

They should hire me instead. I'm not costly. I'm incredibly cheap. Admittedly, I'm no bloody good and work shy, but since when did that matter
                Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

You should become a Permie Manager.

The country needs more people like you.

Thats why we have uncontrolled immigration.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                    The country needs more people like you.
                    I agree, this country needs more people like me. I suggest all women in Britain are forced to breed with me
                    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Working...
                    X