• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro Elections - who'll come out the winner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expat : They stand for liberty, that'll put them off your list.
    How so ? Liberty from Europe is fine by me.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I dont think everybody wants independence from Europe, I certainly dont. Independent currency, yes. Opting out of the Human Rights Act, no!

Take the BN66 case in the accounting and legal thread. It is only because of European Human Rights legislation that we stand a chance of not getting screwed by the govt.

This is not the first time the govt. have interfered with our civil liberties either.

So therefore, I will be voting for the party who are pro Europe and agree with Brussels keeping a tight leash on our government.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        I dont think everybody wants independence from Europe, I certainly dont. Independent currency, yes. Opting out of the Human Rights Act, no!

Take the BN66 case in the accounting and legal thread. It is only because of European Human Rights legislation that we stand a chance of not getting screwed by the govt.

This is not the first time the govt. have interfered with our civil liberties either.

So therefore, I will be voting for the party who are pro Europe and agree with Brussels keeping a tight leash on our government.
        And who keeps a tight leash on Brussels?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

I disagree with that.
          I want political independance from Europe.
          I think the old idea of a Common Market is what I want to see.

Caveat: If all members of the European Union can be shown to be working for the common good instead of for benefits to their individual states (even regions) then I might change my mind.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The BNP will say they did "best" because they will have elected some MEPs..overall I think UKIP will make the most gains. Both use some pretty startling "facts" during their campaigns. I myself wouldn't touch either with a 10ft. pole.

What scared me the most during this campaign was when the BNP came round and dropped off one of their pack of lies leaflet at my wife's office - my wife is an immigration lawyer. And then watching out the window as people were taking leaflets off the BNP canvessers...You know you should move from a town the moment you see that!
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Labour will get slaughtered, and on Sunday/Monday someone from the cabinet (if there's anyone left) will be wheeled out in front of the cameras to say it's because of the recession and the expenses fiasco, and that they are "focusing on the important task at hand" because they are "the only ones who can".

They'll then claim that the public has sent them a clear message that they need to pay close attention to it, or some other mealy-mouthed phrase. And then completely ignore it and carry on their own sweet way...
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Europe should just be a trading bloc, not a federal government with its ever increasing bureacracy and unaffordable costs of 55 Billion a year for the UK. Thus I am pro UKIP for this election and Tory in the long-run because at least they are for a slimmer, cheaper and more democratic Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  What scared me the most during this campaign was when the BNP came round and dropped off one of their pack of lies leaflet at my wife's office - my wife is an immigration lawyer. And then watching out the window as people were taking leaflets off the BNP canvessers...You know you should move from a town the moment you see that!
                  That effect is not limited to individual towns or geographic boundaries, and I have had conversations with people who I would classify as traditional rock solid Labour voters (and have benefited by Labour) now being quite open about their intent to vote BNP.
                  I seem to recall from past postings you or your partner may be of ethnic origin-If the support for the BNP actually translates to real votes, and they are successful in the Euro elections - would that make you more or less likely to consider moving? - and how would you feel if that support was transferred to a General election?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    That effect is not limited to individual towns or geographic boundaries, and I have had conversations with people who I would classify as traditional rock solid Labour voters (and have benefited by Labour) now being quite open about their intent to vote BNP.
                    I seem to recall from past postings you or your partner may be of ethnic origin-If the support for the BNP actually translates to real votes, and they are successful in the Euro elections - would that make you more or less likely to consider moving? - and how would you feel if that support was transferred to a General election?
                    That would be wife - unless being Canadian is ethnic. I think the BNP winning seats where I was living, or near to, or in a significant number would make me move. That would indicate to me that British people really are a thick lot.

The leafet they sent out was truely hilarious and scary the same time...why idiot with half a brain would beleive anything they write? I suppose that would be anyone with less than half a brain.

Are the BNP a smoother/refined version of the Nazi party? The other parties (NO2EU, Green specifically) mentioned BNP in their political broadcast and literature...so they must be very scared of the BNP.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X